Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dose any of you guys run 32x12.5 tires on 10" or 11" rims? It would really help to see some photos of those things mounted on a samurai before I order my set.:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I have always run 8" wide wheels with my 32" and 33" tires. Running a 10" or higher will make it easier to pop a bead on the trail. Zooks use a lower air pressure than the heavier vehicles, so you want something that will give you an advantage or the beads go bye-bye.
Now if you are looking at goingto double sided beadlocks, then nevermind...

32's on 8" rims:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip the double bead locks rims are mandatory and because I do some sand driving the wider foot print is really gonna help.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have always run 8" wide wheels with my 32" and 33" tires. Running a 10" or higher will make it easier to pop a bead on the trail. Zooks use a lower air pressure than the heavier vehicles, so you want something that will give you an advantage or the beads go bye-bye.
Now if you are looking at goingto double sided beadlocks, then nevermind...

32's on 8" rims:
Bill they look like 32x10.5?
12.5 on 8" rim might be a squeeze

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here are my current tires, 33x12.50's on the same 8" rims.
Hi Bill,

Are you on stock Sammy axles? I have a few friends who have broken their axles using 33s to 34s.... I've been hesitant to go further than my 32x9.5 because of this. I hear that going further than 32 one would need to use chromolly axles. I hope I have heard wrong in this...

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I am running zook gears, but the housings are not exactly stock any more...
This is copied/pasted from my spec sheet on my web page (easier than trying to remember everything).

Heavily gusseted stock front axle housing stuffed with 26 spline Chromoly shafts from Spidertrax.
Spidertrax Sidewinder Full Floater Rear axle w/ Track/Kick center
5.12 R&P gears and Warn Premium Hubs
ARB Air Lockers front and rear
Tom Wood's CV drive shaft out back and a Tom Woods HD shaft up front

(edit)
The rear shafts are also Chomoly... This was done before leaving 31's...

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Using a conversion kit (can and spacer) you can use two Track/Kick front diff gear sets to replace the front and rear gear sets in a sammy. You just have to make sure you usethe right sidegears for each axle. (22 spline front/26 spline rear).
Or, you can do what I did and use a track/kick rear diff in a custom axle housing out back. The track/kick rear diff is larger and stronger. The custom housing I am using is from Spidertrax, but there are other vendors that make a hybrid housing that combines a track/kick center section (for the diff) and sammy outer tubes. It is then just a matter of bolting it together.

Here is a liink to list of what gears came in what models so it is easier to find them:
http://www.billjohn.com/drivetrain/gears.htm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts