Suzuki Forums banner

361 - 375 of 375 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
So a few things I've noticed after going to race a few times now. the rear drums seem to definately not be up to the task of track use and started getting hot after 40 second sessions. I'll try a old hot rod trick by drilling them out, (similar to a cross drilled rotor) to keep them cooler, but i have to stress that this should not be used for a street car and you should swap drums to a non drilled out set. this should help reduce some heat and let the rear drums work a bit better. if i can get a set for this before the next event, ill post my findings since there may be a few people who may be interested in tracking their car still. i do think this mod will be better suited towards a higher speed track day.
Good to see the progress, the pics look amazing :p side note; I want your wheels :D

As for the rear brakes in my research the only thing I could find was that the GTX baleno rear discs fit, apart from that my research has come up with dead ends. Aerio/Liana only ever came out with drums here so that was a no go. Looked at the Swift GTI (old one with the G13B) and it looks like it needs heavy modification to even work.

The only way I could see of properly upgrading the brakes (Both front and rear) was to find a disc that would work (4x100 with a certain ID and height) and a caliper that went with that disc and look at having a custom bracket made up to mate the two.

In practice I can try and 3d print designs and see what ends up working, then taking that to a shop so they can custom mill the brackets for me but in this current "Rona" world the cheapest quote I got was $800-1000 depending on the complexity of the bracket required. This was just for milling, I was going to do the R&D. It turns out one offs are very expensive. Something like this:

This would open up many different options I would start with suzuki models and try and adapt a swift (New gen) brake setup to the Baleno. The disc might be too tall but it would be a start. And parts for them are super common so sourcing them wont be too much of a hassle.

The size difference would be as follows:

Baleno
Front: 235mm Diameter
Rear: Peasant drum brakes

Swift (FZ/NZ roughly 2010/12 onwards)
Front: 256mm Diameter
Rear: 259mm Diameter
Aftermarket Options: Alot

I think the only way I will be able to properly see what would be the best fit is to have a bunch of parts cars sitting there and chop and change :p one can only dream.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #362 (Edited)
Good to see the progress, the pics look amazing :p side note; I want your wheels :D

As for the rear brakes in my research the only thing I could find was that the GTX baleno rear discs fit, apart from that my research has come up with dead ends. Aerio/Liana only ever came out with drums here so that was a no go. Looked at the Swift GTI (old one with the G13B) and it looks like it needs heavy modification to even work.

The only way I could see of properly upgrading the brakes (Both front and rear) was to find a disc that would work (4x100 with a certain ID and height) and a caliper that went with that disc and look at having a custom bracket made up to mate the two.

In practice I can try and 3d print designs and see what ends up working, then taking that to a shop so they can custom mill the brackets for me but in this current "Rona" world the cheapest quote I got was $800-1000 depending on the complexity of the bracket required. This was just for milling, I was going to do the R&D. It turns out one offs are very expensive. Something like this:

This would open up many different options I would start with suzuki models and try and adapt a swift (New gen) brake setup to the Baleno. The disc might be too tall but it would be a start. And parts for them are super common so sourcing them wont be too much of a hassle.

The size difference would be as follows:

Baleno
Front: 235mm Diameter
Rear: Peasant drum brakes

Swift (FZ/NZ roughly 2010/12 onwards)
Front: 256mm Diameter
Rear: 259mm Diameter
Aftermarket Options: Alot

I think the only way I will be able to properly see what would be the best fit is to have a bunch of parts cars sitting there and chop and change :p one can only dream.
the pics did look great, I agree! The wheels are getting a full makeover professionally. Guess the new color. Getting powder coated.

As for the US, the Aerio/Liana was also sold with only drums and are the same parts, at least here in the US.

For front brakes you can already get a bigger brake set as there is a bracket already made that would allow bigger calipers.

Sizes of rotor range from 286-421mm (price goes up considerably the bigger you go) and I will be getting this set later in the year with the titanium centers. Obviously only getting this because I plan on hitting higher loads on the brakes. But that does leave the rear as the only issue and I had tried buying brand new OEM GTX rear sets but they are out of stock for the right rears. I have been searching to no avail. Currently I have a few ideas I have jotted down, but if I dont go out and bite the bullet by buying the parts to try, no one else will. Theres a chance my brakes upgrade may get postponed a while due to a possibly good announcement I might make in a few weeks, but will still need a custom part made.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Those brakes look amazing......ly expensive and I will file that under s&%t I cant afford right now.

If AMC and GME take off to the moon however, then I will personally buy those brakes, and a swift, and another suzuki model to try and find brakes that fit the baleno and document the whole thing :D

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #364 (Edited)
Wheels update.
Old khumos off and have had 1 repaired and the other currently being repaired. At 150 per repaired wheel, this is an investment as these wheels go for about 1200USD if you can find them. Still the lightest 15x7 you can get. 10.6 lbs each. (4.8kg)

refurbished the original valves.

before

after

I have powder coating set for next week and these will no longer be silver, if you remember these wheels and the color I wanted from the original CB forum then you know what color these are going to be. With the rarity and powder coating, these wheels will now be a track use/show wheel only. The new rubber is definitely a track focused set and will hopefully be able to test them when I get the wheels back from powder coating.

As for the big update, nothing set in stone, but it’s very likely the White baleno will be getting shipped to Japan this summer fulfilling my old goal of driving my car to the hamamatsucho factory where it was built. I am likely being hired at a Japanese company and we’re in the process of figuring the details. Once there, expect a few updates on the restoration and the full race build will begin on my Suzuki cappuccino. It’s about 60% finished but the remaining bits are ridiculously expensive and will be done at Monster Sport shop.

My baby

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #365
Before the new engine goes in, replaced the steering rack bushings as I forgot to do this on the blue one and is a real pain in the arse to do with the engine in. I want to note that SUZUKI redesigned the right side bushing and made it more narrow. Bushings were still good but decided to replace them. Happy my brackets still have the factory gold finish so no extra work needed.

Right side

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #367
Transmission getting it’s new color. Decided white would be waaaay to clean and something that needs to be removed more regularly for clutch replacements so went with something I can easily paint.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #368
Headers will require some modifications

donor piece

Need this tube for the egr and will need to be cut to fit under the pan correctly. I’ll post that once it’s done.

seals all replaced. Yes, I know it’s not all the way in, but hard to install on the engine stand.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #369 (Edited)
Just dropped off the wheels for powder coating. :)

For those curious, going with Kumho Ecsta V730 rubber in 205/50r15

these should last me a year maybe two of hard use for autox. if you’re considering these for a DD I would EXPECT a years worth of use tops. No shop has these yet and long term reviews aren’t out yet. I’ll give my impression after a few months.

·
Registered
2001 Suzuki Esteem Wagon
31 Posts
Just dropped off the wheels for powder coating. :)

View attachment 100520

For those curious, going with Kumho Ecsta V730 rubber in 205/50r15

these should last me a year maybe two of hard use for autox. if you’re considering these for a DD I would EXPECT a years worth of use tops. No shop has these yet and long term reviews aren’t out yet. I’ll give my impression after a few months.

View attachment 100521
How much did the Kumho tires cost you?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #371
How much did the Kumho tires cost you?
i got them at 109 each. i think they're are great price for the performance. i did remember i got about 1 years of use from the other Kumhos i had that were a 400 tread wear with autox and DD. These are 200 treadwear, to keep my car class restrictions.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
So an issue I never posted was that the white leno does start and run, however, the fuel level float is rusted/stuck in place. As I will need to drop the tank to check/fix it, it makes no sense to not put in a new pump, so I bought the last fuel pump assembly I could find on the internet lol. I'm not joking when I say that I have spent about 4 months searching for one until I found this one. The last option is a $650 OEM fueal pump assembly and I dont feel like dropping that much if I could find a new one for less than that. My only concern is there is rust in the tank, hoping its not bad and just something I can rinse out and get cleaned professionally. Car runs so think its probably that. I have a time crunch to get the car road worthy, so a lot of things are getting rushed.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #374 (Edited)
Only sharing my class, unless anyone requests more times compared to other cars.

These are typically the only types of cars running my class "STX" these 2 other drivers are seasoned drivers and are actually quick. i want to point out the Balenos potential here. Im running 460 treadwear Dunlop Dirreza D102

Temperature: 34C
Condition: Sunny

Car setup:

wheel size +38 15x7
Tyre size: 205/50r15
Air pressure
F: Hot 31 psi
R: Hot 29 psi

Coilover settings:
Ride height: +1cm over stock
Damper stiffness: F: 7 R: 22

These two toyota/scion/subaru 86s are running 200 treadwear bridgstone potenza re-71r.

I am still running 0° camber

I should have my track set of wheels with the new kumhos and i should be able knock off between 1-2 secs easily. the Baleno can hold its own against a much newer car still. So i expect that the next event, will be very close in times. Im thinking i can find time now just adding camber now that im comfortable with the car. i feel about -2 in the front and -1 in the rear should alone take off .5-1 second as im using everything i know with my experience, to get the most out of the car. i'll be adding videos over the next day or two.

361 - 375 of 375 Posts