Suzuki Forums banner

321 - 340 of 375 Posts

·
Registered
9,324 Posts
If its a road and dirt rally car, bog standard wheel alignment will be fine, you want a known starting point to learn. For track stuff, then you tend to move things a bit to suit the higher speed cornering conditions without sacrificing straight line handling. Take a look at the Aussie V8 supercars and the insane camber they run.
As Chief has found, its more responsive and setting his suspension to the "default" settings is the best way to go.
Running a race car myself, i have many pages of notes describing my suspension changes, alignment very rarely changes but wheel spacing relative to car centre line and distance beween wheel centres does along with damping and rebound rates. I note the outcomes and track conditions with each change. I now have a set of "defaults" that I dial in depending on the track conditions, and alter as necessary.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
That alignment looks like its set up for everyday road use, i thought it was a race/rally car? :p
stock is usually the way to go for off road. I do need to mention that I have found it very difficult find parts now though, that are local or can be delivered to a residential address. I plan to do 1 more race due to the difficulty in finding parts for an automatic. I will try to get as many action pics as possible.

the white Leno will start to be the focus of attention soon and worry less about breaking parts and can find parts easily still. There’s specific parts for the automatic transmission variant that are just hard to find unlike the manual. Hopefully will be road/race ready by end of month in I can manage it. :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
Update to an older post. Got around to replacing the TCC in the transmission in hopes of getting rid of the check engine light.

The original TCC on the right with 160k miles. The used one with roughly 140k miles.

Both read ohms of between 12-15 ohms but the original sounded as if was slightly stuck. I drove about 50 miles on highway and a few moments at spirited highway speeds, but still no flashing O/D light or Check engine light. Once the INC readings set to OK, seems the transmission only needs to be taken out to replace the broken/cracked bell housing bolt hole for the mount. It’s only using one of the two at the moment.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
Also added a OBD reader for getting real-time data. I added an alarm for the coolant temperature as even with all the extra precautions it will start to overheat on the 2nd consecutive run. It high loads and low speed turns with few straights which probably isn’t helping but better to have an audible warning I’m starting to overheat instead of visually checking the temp gauge.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #326 (Edited)
The blue car is basically on the road and legal but it’s about 90-95% complete with just a few things remaining to get finished. That being said, I will attempt to get the white one finished by February 20th to a condition that’s able to go to a track day. I want to try and get both entered into an autox event. I’ve started on removing the drivetrain and the engine is painted but just needs to be swapped in. Will keep updated

Edit: weather this week and next looks unlikely I can get this done on time. Plan to just test the blue Leno only later this month.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
So I got a set of wind deflectors a month ago, but haven't gotten to try installing them again. Again because the adhesive that it came with, even 3M that I added myself afterwards, kept peeling from the car. Going to try using a paste adhesive that should be semi permanent. Wont be for at least another week as the weather this week prevents me from doing anything. The blue leno will look more normal car with these haha. But I think its getting to a point it should be retired from any motorsports with the difficulty in getting parts for an automatic. .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Apologies if it has been mentioned before, but any reason for going with the Auto over the manual? from memory the auto's from this era don't take to well to "Aggressive" applications so to speak.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
Apologies if it has been mentioned before, but any reason for going with the Auto over the manual? from memory the auto's from this era don't take to well to "Aggressive" applications so to speak.
I’m going the same route. I’m basically just restoring the cars and have always used the blue Leno to goof around off-road. Just happened to be it’s an automatic.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #330 (Edited)
2 days without power I’m the only person driving “normally” in ice covered roads.
Out looking for some extra supplies.

this is Texas btw

·
Registered
9,324 Posts
2 days without power I’m the only person driving “normally” in ice covered roads.
Out looking for some extra supplies.

this is Texas btw
View attachment 99753
looks better than I remember it. Last time I was there it was hot and dusty and boring

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
After a rough week able to get back to the white baleno. transmission is out and needs a good cleaning. will hopefully get the engine out and new one in next weekend weather permitting. I want to paint the top half of the transmission but still not sure how much I want to paint it as it’s something that will get scratched installing it I think. Anyways, here’s a progress. Easiest way to remove was taking off all the obvious bolts, remove the transmission mount bracket, and shifter lever to give enough clearance and then it just comes out to the side and straight down.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
Starting on the livery, i still need to reclear a few sun damaged areas before i can put some on but you can see the direction im going im. these will be removed once the car gets a respray possibly in late August or early September. Still need to make myself a large ”SUZUKI" decal. car number wiml go in the center of the trunk/boot lid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
or Here
Wish we were closer, got a 01 esteem wagon for sale w/1.8 4L it will be gone soon & wish somebody here on the East coast could use it. Be Good-JW

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
Hopefully you can tell, but the SUZItech strut brace bracket doesnt work with the Aerio fuel rail. I have an autox event this weekend so wanted to get it installed. might, if i have time, install the Esteem fuel rail temporarily.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #338 (Edited)
Got it swapped in and the suzitech brace now fits. The few of you that know my cars from long ago, You'll notice the brace has gone through its 3rd color change. lol it'll be painted white once it goes back in the white car.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
I just can’t win lol.
Tested out the brace and the bushings for the brace started to crumble. I’ll see if I they hold up tomorrow, but the bushings will be replaced soon.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #340
Havent the time anymore, but as I have the SuperPro Bushings for the white baleno still in bags, I checked the size and it looks like the rear lateral control arm bushings should be a direct replacement for the bushings in the stabilizer. If thats the case I'll replace them during the week. Hopefully the bushings last me for a few runs later tomorrow. Just for future reference purposes a few tags. #SUZItech #towerbrace #suzuki #baleno #stabilizer

321 - 340 of 375 Posts