Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you deep into the Esteem mod scene will know who I am, those who don't Hi ;)

I am doing a resto-mod build on two esteems, I will write everything here too, but for now you can view the build thread here. (will be added in my next post.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
or Here

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just updated the thread, i'll make time to write out everything here later tonight. todays update is related to brakes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After leaving them sitting for 10 years, wow time flies, i'm back to getting the balenos back to running conditions. Both engines are not running. The blue one has FOUR spun bearings and am currently checking to see if its repairable. All the engine and transmission mounts are trash and the brakes are rusted bad. The white one has spun bearings as well. I had repaired it using the wrong size bearing hoping it would last a day, but it spun them on my way home that same day and havent checked how bad it was in those 10 years. its possible my engine of 79,000 miles might be dead this time. currently I am Restoring the interior of the white baleno. I will be adding pics throughout the process.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
one can short but paints protecting. that was my goal. Had originally removed all the sound deadening from the entire car but never got around to painting the car after removing everything.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New updates:
Have been looking at all my options and the best path for me is going to be a J23 swap from the Aerio. In the esteem (baleen) no one has done a J23 swap before, so I will be the first AND second esteem (baleno) to J23 swap. Fortunately It will be the first for both the MT and AT versions. Did some intensive precleaning on the interior for the blue esteem and both cars had rust forming on the back seats which you wouldn't notice without removing the rear fabric that covers them. Next the interior for the white esteem is about 98% done just missing a few screws and installation of the dome light. Afterwards I will start work on degreasing and cleaning the underside of both cars and reunderciating where needed. I will look at getting the brakes upgraded the next week.

This is from the rear seat of the white 2001 leno.

before

After

Interior about done minus a few screws and dome light

The interior of the Blue 2000 leno mid way through cleaning

The rear seat on the blue one not as badly rusted.
Before

After I was running out of paint so didnt come out as nice but good enough. Its covered by fabric so doesn't matter.

Interior cleaned

Not dirty, Just shadows

Planning on keeping a full size spare in the rear. It fits but I will need to make a custom floor to fit around the wheel.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will update on the brakes fitment but looks like a direct swap.
2.3L Aerio brakes

4 Suzuki aerio wheel for the Leno. We be refinished.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
some progress updates

top is final with clearcoat, from left to right on the bottom is original/primer/color

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finished restoring the headlights, but need to redo again as I saw some imperfections I had missed. :/

Also, you'll notice my grill emblem is missing. Someone stole all my emblems at some point in those ten years.

How they started

Finished

How the car will sit until I reinstall them

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, the 2.0 and 2.3 aerio use the same size rotor as the 1.8 baleno. the calipers were a direct swap. the pads are the same width, but the aerio pad is clearly bigger. This upgrade is being done with aerio (liana) brake hoses and struts. will post more on the brakes once i recieve the new caliper set i ordered.

Bought brand new door handles but aftermarket parts. decided against using them. the color is a different gray and the spring feels cheap. will keep as emergency spares.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
got my airbag to install, but there will be complications getting it to work. will update after i figure out my options. likely will just be there as a horn only.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Enjoying the story.
Where did you find the steering wheel, I don't believe it is stock for the Esteem?:p
And the guages?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Enjoying the story.
Where did you find the steering wheel, I don't believe it is stock for the Esteem?:p
And the guages?
Steering wheel is from the JDM Suzuki swift sport and the gauges are from the euro spec GSR sport model of the esteem.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts