Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Searched and searched found no straight answers. 93 8v tracker 5 speed. Ran fine for the past year, until today. Died out of no where. Turns over, but NO fuel, NO spark. Coil is good. ignitor is good. Fuel pump good. No Cel light, Dash lights come on. F1 fuse blows every time i turn on the key. Can any one please help?

(checked) Check Grounds/ECU caps, wires aren't rubbing near firewall or anywhere else
(checked) Left tail light ground

What else is there?

·
Super Moderator
26,904 Posts
Wiring. You obviously have a short in the F1 circuit, or else the main relay is bad. You can replace the main relay with the fuel pump relay as they are the same, and then turn the key to see if the F1 blows again - if not, then replace the main relay (of course, your car will not start without 2 good relays in place). Other than that, the blue/black wire runs from the main relay to the fuel pump relay, idle speed control solenoid, ECU, the VSV's in the front of the engine, etc. You will need to trace this circuit, and look for a short, some break in insulation, etc., that is causing your problem. Either a box of fuses and start pulling the connectors for each component that the blue/black runs to, or else an ammeter is helpful here, to try to locate the short. I had a similar situation on the ig-coil fuse, and these two circuits are true nightmares, as they run everywhere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bex, thanks for the reply. ill report back with results soon.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
13,274 Posts
Get a non invasive tone generator, quick/easy way to trace wires in a loom....

... Philip

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reporting back. The problem was a loom of wires under the intake that became one... After replacing all of the wires, she fires up. Yay! it starts! and dies after 3 seconds. If i pour fuel down the intake, it runs and idles like normal. So that means it not getting enough fuel. I tried priming the system by cycling the key on and off multiple times. That didn't work. I swapped the main relay with the fuel pump relay and got the same results. The vehicle did sit for 2 months. Can the fuel filter or pump go bad from sitting?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Missed a sensor plug. Now it idles, but still doesn't have enough fuel. I took a video YouTube

·
Super Moderator
26,904 Posts
The video is 'private' and can't be viewed....???
Now that the car starts and runs (but has no power) do a compression test to verify the engine timing. You may also want to check your fuel pressure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Video should be Fixed. I replaced both fuel and main relay for giggles. Nothing changed. Checked CEL for code, got code 12..which means no errors. I bought a Fuel pressure tester today. Ill check that tomorrow. I'll do the compression test as a last resort. I have no one to help me. Bex thanks for having the patients and being here to help. Ill Report back tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
26,904 Posts
There is some kind of unpleasant knocking in that video.....????
Anyway, before diagnosing any further, you do need to check your fuel pressure (spec is 34-41psi) and compression. Post back your results. And compression testing is never a 'last' resort...it should be the first one....;)

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
13,274 Posts
What and where were you spraying (accelerant)??

Do you have a MAF on that engine?

Keep a .45 handy, just in case you need to put it down humanely..

... Philip

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Fuel pressure read 40 psi. Compression check read all 4 cylinders around 130.

There is some kind of unpleasant knocking in that video.....????)
Most likely the crappy cell phone camera. Nothing sounds out of the ordinary when its running.

I'm hearing what I think is a massive vacuum leak somewhere. Anybody else? :huh:
The whole air filter box is off. When the air box is back on all that sound goes away.

What and where were you spraying (accelerant)??

Do you have a MAF on that engine?

Keep a .45 handy, just in case you need to put it down humanely..

... Philip
Starting fluid down the intake. If i shoot a spray every couple seconds, the engine runs like normal. I don't be leave i have a MAF on my engine. Its not attached to the air filter box.

I just don't get it. When i start the engine it starts normal revs to about 1200 idles down to about 800 and starts a loaping misfire idle. If i give it any gas it bogs down and almost dies. I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the tbi. or a sensor. idk :confused::confused: Time to buy a .45:(

maybe the little squinter in the throttle body isn't squirting enough?

When all those wires fused together under the intake, could it have fried anything?

·
Super Moderator
26,904 Posts
Fuel pressure is within factory spec. But, compression is not. If you have done your compression test with all spark plugs out, the F1 fuse removed, and the gas pedal floored while you are cranking, on a warm engine your reading should be around 170 psi on the 4 cylinder. Assuming that this is the dry test, did you try the wet test afterward (about a teaspoon of oil in the cylinder to see if compression rises). I would suggest, however, that your engine timing is off, belt jumped a tooth, perhaps, and you need to check your timing belt and correct your timing before going further.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.