Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which Battery is the best one to buy? It will be for a 88 sammy using a 5000 lb winch. Stock Alternator. I might upgrade later to LED Lights, but now all stock.:huh:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Which Battery is the best one to buy? It will be for a 88 sammy using a 5000 lb winch. Stock Alternator. I might upgrade later to LED Lights, but now all stock....
A winch can draw 300+ Amps for tens of minutes at a time while pulling hard. A standard battery is around 45A-hr capacity -- at best, that's not 10 minutes of hard winching to run a battery completely flat. I measured my Samurai starter at 150 Amps for under three seconds. No comparison! The stock Suzuki alternator is (only) 45-50A depending on model year. You should seriously consider a deep-discharge tolerant design. After just a few deep discharges on a standard starting battery (the common kind) and you'll be replacing it. If you're going to be doing much winching, it may be time to install a high-output alternator. No alternator you can fit in a Suzuki will provide enough current to run a winch, but a high-current alternator can delay battery discharge and speed-up recharge. A hand throttle can increase engine RPM so the alternator will provide near full output while winching. This is a very popular subject and much discussed. A search will turn up much discussion and information, here and elsewhere.

Edit: The biggest battery you can fit is the size you want. The group 25 size fits well in a Samurai, although I once made the larger group 24 fit, I won't do it again. It you choose a dual-terminal style, do NOT connect the winch to the side terminals. The GM CS130 alternator size (105A) seems to be the most popular alternator upgrade now. It fits well 'cause it's a newer, more modern and compact design and doesn't require modifying the top bracket. I bought my alternator from adventure-off-rd (Paul) on eBay. Several vendors sell the bracket alone. Take the alternator voltage feedback directly from the alternator output (to prevent loss of voltage control from aging wiring). You'll also need to install a separate, #6 AWG or larger, battery charge wire directly from the alternator (+) stud to the battery. Leave the OEM fusible link in place and tape off the existing charge wire. Take all your additional high-current demands directly from the battery, leaving the original Suzuki wiring in place, still protected by the fusible link. One electrical fire could ruin your whole day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree. It was not a question if You need a good battery, but which one to buy. or which yellow top to buy? Now is there a hi-output Alt. available that will fit the 88 Sammy? If so, which one?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rouko - Search the forums for swapping a GM AC Delco 100 amp alt... I have not done it but it looks simple, bracket change and little wiring

1 - 5 of 5 Posts