Suzuki Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,007 Posts
Sounds good.

Oh! The 'wet ECT' ref earlier was an attempt at pointing you toward the engine cooling temperature gauge sensor I believe. That's probably not your issue though. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hello Fam, Update for you. I drove my Suzuki to the store today (10/5/2022), which is about three miles away. My arrival at the store there wasn't any problems. When I got back home, I noticed the temp gage indicating hot. After backing in my driveway, I retrieved my IR Thermometer and checked the temp of the engine. The highest reading I got was 104 Degrees Fahrenheit. All other readings were lower. Can someone let me know something Please.

Army of One
JM

·
Administrator
19,041 Posts
Boiling point of water is 212*F, so that 104*F isn't even "operating temperature" - but - we don't know where it was measured. It certainly doesn't sound like the engine is overheating, but, until we know where the IR gun was pointed, we're just guessing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
... make sure that when you turn on the A/C that the electric fan in front of the A/C condenser is running as well. If it isn't working, that will cause the engine to overheat in conjunction with A/C compressor operating conditions.
I have noticed that in extreme conditions the electric fan starts running even if the airconditioning is off. Not that this knowledge is of much use to the thread starter, just wanted to mention it.

Good thinking of the Suzuki engineers (y)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Ladies and Gents, I'm back once again with my XL7 overheating still. As previously stated, I've have all new coolant system parts except for the water pump. Now at this point I can drive it to a location and it stays cool. On my way back home it will fluctuate from cool to hot then back to cool. Today, I returned from the store and noticed that the gage was reading hot as I backed in my driveway. When I parked, I decided to just sit with the engine still running to see what would happen. After about two minutes, the coolant gage went from hot back to cool. I waited a while longer and the gage kept alternating from hot to normal and back to hot etc. Would anyone know what this could be and advise me.

Army of One
JM👨‍🔧

·
Administrator
19,041 Posts
James - please read this thread from beginning to end - think about what you're reading, think about what you're posting - the engine CANNOT go from hot to cold to hot within a matter of minutes - you need to determine the coolant temperature using some other method than the dash gauge or the engine's coolant temperature sensor.

Once you have verified the problem is erroneous gauge readings, only then can you move forward.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts