Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I just bought a 2001 xl7 with an automatic transmission that is leaking pretty badly.. seems to be the front seal. The car has 203k miles.. so I decided that there could be more than just a seal broken/going out on that tranny.. therefore I bought one with warranty that's supposed to be good.

Anyway.. my question is.. which exhaust gaskets am I going to have to replace? (since I'm assuming the exhaust has to come off.. but I'm not sure exactly which pieces). Also.. is it a good idea to go ahead and change the rear main seal? or not worth the trouble?

Thanks,
Albert

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
You can do it without touching the exhaust.
And yes it's worth doing the rear main seal. With 200+k
You don't want to pull the tranny again if it starts to leak.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay thanks for the input I didn't know that!

What do you mean by gallery plugs ?

Another question: are there any differences between a 4 spd auto tranny for a GV and an XL7?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Oil galleries are machined from the transmission side of the block. And the ends are plugged with the same plugs that are used on you diffs.

I don't remember if the Gv and xl7 trans are the same. Parts people should be able to look it up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies and suggestion guys! So i got my transmission.. and it looks to be in decent shape. The problem is the guys who took it out cut the kick down cable.. and my mechanic is telling me that my kick down cable is bad and needs to be replaced. I'm having trouble finding it in pretty much any auto parts store.. Not sure what to do here.. as I also seem to have lost the site that carries suzuki oem stuff.

Is this something that can be replaced easily once they put the transmission and exhaust back? (Which they did have to take out..) [because I need some time to buy the part and they are waiting there with the job halfway done..]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts