Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum. I bought my XL-7 in July this year. Hasn't missed a beat. The only problem so far is a rattle in the rear door when on rough/off road.
There was also some sort of substance on the muffler which has gradually burned away, but it smelled pretty bad.
Otherwise a great car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
:57: I just purchased a new 2005 xl7. it has that same rattle you are talking about. I think it may be the latch handle as it rattle when the doors is slammed shut. Any one else with thoughts on this? :beer:

·
Super Moderator
4,490 Posts
The noise is the license plate as you slam the door shut. Remove the plate and you will see it stops.

The smell is normal. its the anti rust coaating they spray on for the trip over here via ship

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rattle I was talking about has nothing to do with the "license plate" (we call em number plates in Oz). I asked the dealer to look at it. All we could come up with is to turn the little black rubber stopper at the top of the door frame anti-clockwise a turn or two. This screws it out slightly and it reduced the door rattle somewhat but not completely. Make sure you don't unscrew it too far or it will fall out.
Looks like I'll have to live with it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
"The noise is the license plate as you slam the door shut. Remove the plate and you will see it stops."
Thx, a sticky rubber pad under the licence plate made it quiet. I also removed the rear door panel and installed a small piece of rubber gas line on the door latch pin, which levers the latch mechanism from the handle and got the door handle to stop rattling also. The door panel simply pops off and back on with no trouble at all, and keep a roll of masking tape to re-seal the dust inhibiting plastic under the door panel. This has quieted my problem on rough roads. cheers. :beer:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the tips guys, but I am absolutely certain my particular issue is NOT related to the license plate, (which is located below the rear door, not on it). We're talking about different rattles. If I hit the top of the spare wheel with an open palm I can sometimes reproduce the rattle, which is in the whole door, not the license plate or the wheel.
Thanks for the info though!

·
Registered
44 Posts
:57: hi again, when I took posession of my 05 xl7, the spare tire was loose on the mount, yes the lug nuts on the spare weren't even tight, also, the mount for the spare was loose on the door, yes, the metric bolts holding the spare tire mount to the door were very loose, causing a rattle. By plugging away at it, I was able to cure my rear end rattles. Hope this helps. :beer:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes my xl7 does the same, and it is not the plate. I will look at it this weekend. I have owned other Suzukis in the past and this is common for them all. :grouphug:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by paulgunderson@Oct 18 2005, 10:27 AM
Yes my xl7 does the same, and it is not the plate. I will look at it this weekend. I have owned other Suzukis in the past and this is common for them all. :grouphug:
I have a 2001 model and do the same

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had a rattle that sounded like the rear door on our GV - turned out to be the wheek brace - sorted by wrapping a duster around it. The duster has proved useful in wiping hands after a wheel change!

Beancounter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts