Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
My first posting, other than the new member’s page…
I’ve had my 2003 XL-7 for 5 mths and still a novice, love the looks (what sold it to me) and the size, but I’m extremely disappointed with the on-road ride & handling! It seems to pickup the slightest bump and I feel sure that there is an underlying vibration of some kind. I changed the front two tyres, although the XL-7 had only done 16,000miles (assuming they’re original) as they were getting low and had outer edge wear and hoped it would improve things, but it made no difference to the ride. I had a test-drive done and was told that they thought it was normal as the suspension is naturally hard for off-road use!… Am I expecting too much from my XL-7?
The tyres are Bridgestone Dueler 687, which I’ve heard are to be superseded with a new model, so I noted with interest the comments from other members that some are unhappy with these… I have found that I have to take roundabouts with caution and be careful not to put too much power on coming out of a turn or a corner as I can loose the rear end… not bothered about this happening off-road, but on-road its not funny…
Your esteemed comments would be very welcome :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am very happy with the ride of my new 2005 XL-7. I live on an island in the Caribbean where the roads are a real challenge, but the Suzuki is quite pleasent on rough roads.

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee that was 8 years old, and it was tired and feeling old. Its ride was great when it was new also, but shocks (and springs) wear out, and in my opinion need to be replaced approx every 4 years.

Ed

·
Registered
10 Posts
There are two types of SUV
1. Car based : No chassis (monocoque), front wheel drive (+full time 4x4), car like ride.
2. Truck based : Ladder Frame chassis, rear wheel drive (part time 4x4 w/low gear).
Each has its own characteristics :
1. Car based : its good on pavement, but slightly bad on off pavement
2. Truck based : its good off pavement but, slightly bad on pavement

The premium class car such as BMW X-series, Porsche Cayenne, Range Rover... are trying to accomodate both world (on and off pavement).

So its your own decision what to expect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also own a 2003 XL7. I do not have the troubles you mention. As a matter of fact I have had several people tell me that it's one of the nicest riding SUVs they've riden in. I have no vibration at all. It does not take to rough roads quite the way my Dodge Ram does but then again it's half the weight. So far I have been extremely pleased. I hope this helps. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx all for your comments, I think I'll get it checked out...

Still welcome further comments, especially on the tyres. :57:

B.

·
Super Moderator
4,490 Posts
I think you are expecting too much.. Its a truck based suv so its gonna ride a little stiff.

Frank

Originally posted by Berrymeader@Feb 20 2005, 10:36 AM
Thanx all for your comments, I think I'll get it checked out...

Still welcome further comments, especially on the tyres. :57:

B.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well I own an XL7 and only get a slight vibration at about 80-90mph. At low speeds the ride is a little stiff but alot of other suvs do the same except the really expensive ones. (porsche,bmw,etc.) Also have a shop check your alignment.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
Mine is a 2004 XL7 4WD bought new in California. I know the tracking is right and I rotate the tyres (or tires) if you are an American. It has done 24000 miles now and think they will last to 30000 before replacing them. I drive them very hard as I am an Englishman (another story but I do not want to upset the locals)

The front tyres would wear out on the edges if not rotated although I am against rotating on other cars but had to on this one, (I always find that the car then changes its characteristics and ends up with wheel wobble) which did happen here as well.

The tyres where absolutely great in snow in 4wd and without chains, in the worst weather Lake Tahoe had last year, but crap in 2wd. In the wet they are crap and I do not feel confident at all in it and compared with other SUV's here in the States its still bad in the wet so its not the truck/car chassis excuse. In the dry or wet there is understeer due to the rear wheel drive and you can only use the 4wd in loose surfaces as it locks the diff so that does not help.

The tyres have worn evenly but I would expect more mileage from them but they are not too bad for my driving.

They are a soft compound which makes me even more worried about changing the makes to get more mileage as I rearly want more grip and confidence not harder tyres.

Please note that every time my car goes in for an oil change every 3000 miles they set the preassures the same all round ( too low at the back) which is wrong as to the sticker on the car door so I end up setting them myself (I have given up advising the dealer) if Idid not reset them they would be worn out on the edges. Strange eh!!

Bottom line to me is we are blaming the tyres for a crap handling car, the wheels bounce like it has broken shock absorbers and if you try to increase the power even slightly round a bend from start (such as turning from stationary at traffic lights the inner rear wheel spins like I am 17 again, that must be why they put the strut brace on but managed to remove it on the new 2006 Grand Vitara. This car needs serious suspension mods to make it better not just tyres but when it is used to get the kids from school and standing in line at the Starbucks drive through its not worth the cost so the next car will not be this model.

As to other complaints they are stupid rear seat belts, complicated folding seats, bad fitting carpet and rear doors and the poor climate control that is not rearly climate control at all, it never shuts off.

I love it in the snow in the mountains but round the city I take my Ford Contour (mondeo) and let my wife drive it.

Hope this helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts