Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Suzuki XL-7 limited 4x4 with 73,000 miles. The problem I have is the rear brakes seem to sometimes catch while backing up (especially after releasing the parking brake). When this occurs the vehicle will be very hard to move backwards. I have recently taken the vehicle in for repairs and they adjusted the rear brakes, resurfaced the rear drums. Not sure what is going on with these brakes??

·
Registered
129 Posts
It sounds like the park brake is sticking. It could be the cable. Do you use the park brake very often? The cable is inside a plastic sheath and moisture can get in there and cause the cable to rust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently purchased the 2002 xl-7 used about a 1000 miles ago so I do not know if the prior owner used the emergency brake much, but I use the emergency brake frequently (habit from driving a stickshift car previously) and this brake issue started occuring after using the emergency brake.
Is there a way to lubricate this cable that runs the emergency brake?

Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sometime you can use a wd-40 or similar penetrating lubricant spray for inside the sheath. It's usually hard to find a place to spray inside though. This can work for a short while but it will probably stick again eventually.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts