Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1996 X90 wouldn't start this morning. Lately it seemed as though the MT clutch switch was acting up so I started with that. Something not right there. The switch was smashed at the button/threads and I had to remove it and file the smashed end to allow the button to pop out. The mechanical stop is a bolt that jams against another bolt attached to the pedal. In the pic it hits the bolt in the pedal (top one) first, at an angle, which seems to be bending the stop bolt. Switch is all the way in and I can see no way of it smashing the threaded end as it still isn't far enough in to break the circuit (and barely hitting pedal target area). Oh well, get it to start first!
Light Black Gas Rim Vehicle
I tried to start the car and nothing, so checked the switch again (it's fine ). It has two "small" wires attached to it. A Blue wire and a Black with white stripe. Black meters going to ground and blue has no power at any time . I can't find a schematic that shows these colors nor one for the ignition switch. They may go to the ECU? Checked fuses and all are good. Car shouldn't have been able to start with button smashed in anyways and I don't see how it was smashed recently as I can't even get it far enough to.
Does anyone have:
1- a schematic that shows the X90 start circuit and/or ignition key wire colors. I have looked but the Tracker ones I found, even though they are supposed to be the same, don't agree with what I see. Fumbling in the dark without a drawing.
2- a picture of their clutch stop?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,101 Posts
The safety switch on the clutch is a normally open circuit (power on only one wire), when the pedal activates the switch it closes (power on both wires).

Install a jumper across the two wires (short switch out), the starter should activate.. with key in start position..

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I'm not familiar with the X90 but nothing in the photo seems to match the sidekick which I would expect. The wiring in the X90 shows the same as the sidekick Black/Red to the clutch switch Black/Yellow from it. Isn't the floor the clutch stop :unsure: .

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Aquanaut20- I did jump it, even though I checked it with a meter and it seemed to be ok after repairs. Have been digging deeper in what I can without a drawing. Seems to be 2 problems: clutch pedal switch and ??

Edit- found a ignition continuity checklist showing continuity with key in different positions
Edit2 - removed the electrical part of the switch from mechanical easily. All looks good
BTW- jumped to the starter solenoid from battery and its ok.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Darrel
It has a stop in the 'up ' position to stop it smashing the switch. Something did smash it and I can't see the pedal doing it with the current stop on it. Mine has a stop but it may not be Suzuki built. . It doesn't line up right. I can bend the pedal side to side but it is out up/down. Will try for a better pic.
edit- Looks like it is possible someone bent the part of the pedal that contacts the switch. Can anyone with a X90 post a pic of the 'clutch position switch' in place?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AAAH- the cursed Previous Owner strikes again!!
Got the ignition switch unplugged and found the black/red wire hidden in behind. Also found where someone had installed, then removed, an aftermarket alarm. Found 2 Wire Tap connectors and, on the black/red wire to starter, a couple of poorly done butt connectors. There is no continuity from the plug to the starter solenoid end. Almost impossible to access but will probably need to remove butt connectors and repair (will look for more when anger wears off and the bleeding stops). This reinforces my belief that some neanderthal pulled up on the clutch in a fit of rage.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can find all sorts of drawings purporting to be for a X90 but they all seem to be only 'close'. Most show a Blk/Y(or R?) from key to clutch switch and down to the starter. But the Blk/Y wire at ignition switch is 12ga and the 2 wires at clutch switch are 18ga. I have continuity from ign switch to after the butt connectors then wire disappears into a loom and into the deepest recess of the dash. Found the connector on the drivers side firewall and have continuity from there to the starter. Break is between connectors near ignition switch and outside of firewall.
Can not find reliable info of what is between!
Found drawings that show Blk/Y (or Blk/R) wires that go to ECU and clutch switch, or ECU or clutch switch. The clutch position switch, being 18 ga, probably goes to ECU. I have no idea where the 12 ga wire goes?
So many wires in such a small, awkward (and painful ) area means it may be easier to pull the dash unless somebody really knows where the wires go?

Does the clutch switch tell ECU that it is ok to allow current to the starter? If so, I can't see it on any drawing. If not, then what is the point of the clutch switch as it isn't actually inline to the starter.

·
Administrator
16,161 Posts
When your car left the factory the clutch switch was actually inline between the ignition switch & the starter - the point of it is to force you to depress the clutch when starting the vehicle, so that it doesn't move if it was left in gear.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes but it's how it does it I don't get. I can't see it being inline as this is a "mostly' original x90 and the wires I see are original but not inline to feed the solenoid

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,101 Posts
It should be inline, you will need to trace it, or install a new circuit..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Must be another of the X90 quirks. It is not at all like a Tracker/Sidekick switch. As these wires look original ( PO 's work is obvious) I'll see if I can pull the dash and track the wires. Would make it easier to fix the clutch pedal arm at the same time if someone could post a pic of how it should look.
EDIT- you are right! There are 2 clutch switches on this car. You sounded so sure I had to look again ( and again and again). The one I was speaking of is above the clutch pedal itself but I found the other after nearly breaking my back, even with the seat out. It is above the gas pedal/brake area almost impossible to see. Ok now I'm getting somewhere! The arm doesn't so much push 'in' on the switch plunger as 'slide' over it sideways; not good for a switch. Removed it and it checked out ok, was just worn off on the end from the sliding and not triggering the switch. Reinstall ( much swearing) and adjust. Now have continuity from key to starter. Tomorrow finish the alarm removal and test start.
Brings the question - what does the other switch do? Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Asphalt Gas

·
Super Moderator
25,483 Posts
Are you sure that’s not the brake lamp switch, at the top of the brake pedal? In the Trackick, it would have a green and green/white wire attached to it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
No . the brake light switch is the only one relatively easy to get to. This is the one shown in first post, right below clutch pedal stop

update; The switch above the clutch pedal is for the cruise control. It prevents over-revving when the clutch is depressed with cruise on. Thanks to fixkick for that piece of info.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hard to see amongst all the extra stuff in the way, but that is what the starter circuit clutch switch looks like. And thanks for the drawing. Never occurred to me that the cruise should & would be interrupted when the clutch is pushed. Didn't work anyways as the switch plunger was stuck until I took it out and repaired it

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The plot thickens
After adjusting the clutch pedal switch I ran into trouble starting the X90 again. Jumpered the switch and it ran so, what is with the switch? Watched closely and could see the arm that pulls the clutch cable did not move in unison with the shaft. Looked at the nightmare involved getting the pedal and shaft out but it was the arm itself that split. Must have gone recently (maybe as I was working or was the original problem) as the clutch arm now wouldn't even return to correct height. This thing is fighting me.
PS clutch cable is free moving.
Wood Font Auto part Art Fashion accessory

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Going in the wrong direction!
I know Previous Owners do odd things but I found another one today while trying to adjust the clutch pedal height. The cruise control switch was mushroomed because someone had pulled up (or jacked it) on the clutch pedal hard enough to totally distort where the stop and switch strike. No hope of getting the pedal stop to adjust enough to put the pedal at the correct height. Now I have to pull the clutch pedal out and either get one from a wrecker or try to straighten this one. Also the local Suzuki Authorized Dealer says there's no more levers at Suzuki Japan so I had to weld my broken one together, adding some reinforcement.
what it should look like-
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Rim Automotive wheel system

what it is-
just put the rubber stop in; PO had put a nut and bolt in it's place but it then bent the stop bolt upwards until it missed
Gas Auto part Machine Metal Nickel

·
Administrator
16,161 Posts

#30 - 49820-62A71-000 - LEVER, CLUTCH PEDAL - $20.92 plus shipping - megazip.net

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks but I have already welded it together. I waited for the dealers one but they called and said NLA the day it was supposed to be in and I need the car soon. I got the pedal out ( what a PAIN! ) and straightened the bracket. Also had to weld where the pedal joins the shaft because it looked like it had just started to crack there. Working under here is a new level of frustration, need more joints in fingers and arms.
I wonder if putting the spring (#27) on the clutch pedal is what drove the PO to reefing up on the pedal so hard?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts