Suzuki Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If you search through the parts catalog, you’ll find that the 96 Suzuki Sidekick uses the same distributor part number as the X90 - 33100-70E00.
I think that you need to stop thinking that your X90 is OBD1. It isn’t. X90’s were only built from 96-98, AFAIK, and they are all OBD2.
Yes, OBD2 beyound a doubt. I've know that now. I found the port and the part mumber for the ecu. However, the enginr going in is OBD1 from a 94 sidekick. So I have change the the pan, and oil pump at the least.

To clarify my latest question: will a distributor from a OBD1 (the 94 replacement which was from an automatic if that matters) function correctly with the rest of my OBD2 electronics

By the way my current understanding is that it is real simple to tell the difference. Crankshaft Position Sensor: OBD2. No Crankshaft Position Sensor OBD1. I believe the reason for adding the CPS had to do the switch to OBD2.

That said I do have 2 good ECUs for a 94 sidekick (16 valve). One is for a manual the other for an automatic transmission. I also have the engine wire and the harness back to the ECU for the same. If a member is in need of either let me know as they are useless to me. I understand they are hard to come by especially the automatic but so are sidekicks equipped with automatic transmissions.
Right now my mission is to clean, clean, clean the filthy x-90 engine and parts that will be reused. This thing must have been leaking oil for at least 20 years. Oil pan bolts where so rusted that 7 or 8 of them had to by removed with a cold chisel.
Wish me good fortune and I'll be back with updates and requests for more knowledge...

·
Super Moderator
24,514 Posts
True, although his first post seems to indicate that his car is for the USA market.

·
Super Moderator
24,514 Posts
And the parts catalog indicates that the distributor part number would be the same. I gave you the link to look at above.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
And the parts catalog indicates that the distributor part number would be the same. I gave you the link to look at above.
Bex, I think I'm confusing you the replacement engine is without doubt OBD1 my car is, I fully understand at this point, without doubt OBD2.

That given: the distributor from the OBD2 engine is ugly, flithy, and in pieces.
The distributor on the replacement engine looks like new, is clean, pretty and installed on the engine.

I wondering if the OBD1 distributor will function with an otherwise OBD2 setup,

·
Super Moderator
13,897 Posts
The following is based on digging through the online parts catalog, unfortunately I do not have the electrical manuals so I can only theorize to a point

As far as I can tell the distributors are different, the 96~98 are self contained with the ignition coil integrated into the distributor, and the 94 uses an external coil and igniter.

The camshafts are common to both so I suspect the distributors are physically interchangeable, and it may be possible to use the 94 distributor by modifying the wiring between the ECU and the coil.

·
Super Moderator
24,514 Posts
Oops. OK. I understand now....:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The following is based on digging through the online parts catalog, unfortunately I do not have the electrical manuals so I can only theorize to a point

As far as I can tell the distributors are different, the 96~98 are self contained with the ignition coil integrated into the distributor, and the 94 uses an external coil and igniter.

The camshafts are common to both so I suspect the distributors are physically interchangeable, and it may be possible to use the 94 distributor by modifying the wiring between the ECU and the coil.
Thank you. That's what I needed to know. Got to pop for rebuilts or put the ugly old oil pump and dizzy in the clean engine. It would be an easy decision if I knew for certain the rest of the car was good. And everything was there to put this thing back together.
I got this thing cheap but much of the body work was removed. The engine was in the vehicle but torn apart. The dash board was torn into with compents hanging from wiring and strewn on floorboards. Which by the way, combined with someone's suggestion that it was near the trans hump, is my lame excuse for not being able to locate the OBD plug.
I question weather this one should become a parts car for another X-90 owner and I should search for a nice clean OBD1 Samurai, Sidekick, or Tracker with a blown engine to put this nice clean engine in. Nah, I'll stick with this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Oops. OK. I understand now....:)
Not your error Bex its my cloudy old brain trying to make itself expressed clearly. I have to thank you again Bex as I'd likely be totally lost without your advice and direction.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Looks like a now also have an extra nice clean OBD1 dizzy and coil pack if anyone is in need.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Thought it was about time I posted this up, workshop manual for the X90. Originally from Rhinoman's site but I couldn't find it there so uploaded here...

·
Super Moderator
13,897 Posts
A word of caution regarding the manuals on Rhinoman's site - the ones I've looked at are Vitara manuals, rather than Sidekick manuals, so if you have a Sidekick, you need to be aware that they are similar, but not identical - especially when you get to the 96~98 OBDI/OBDII stuff.

Personally, I'd rather have the manuals rather than have nothing at all, so, I'm just making sure that people know to watch out for little differences.

Reactions: Bex

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thought it was about time I posted this up, workshop manual for the X90. Originally from Rhinoman's site but I couldn't find it there so uploaded here...
Very super cool. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Fordem, you be right on the distributor for sure. I dug down under a pile of body parts to get to the distributor cap again. While at a casual glance the distributors might look the same to a fool like me. They most certain not. The 96 OBD2 dizzy has an entirely different cap with the electronics built into the cap. While the 94 OBD1 distributor has the connection on the distributor case itself. I can put up some side by side pics if any likes. I guess I'd be lost without you guys.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts