Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All, I've recently acquired a x-90 which is somewhat of a basket case.
Frist issue I'm in need of readable elctrical diagrams as detailed as possible. As the wiring been hacked into. I do not know how bad wiring issues are at this point but there's some issues for sure.

Tittled as: 1996 x-90 USA
Date of manufactor: 12/**/1995. It's OBD 1.
4x4 manual trans.

Also im in the process of pulling the blown engine and replacing it with an engine from a 1994 sidekick for which I have the engine wire harness and ECU from the sidekick. Since my old engine is such as mess I thought this would sidestep the CPS sensor issue. Ha ha and heeho.... the ECUs and wiring for the sidekick and the X-90 are not interchangeable to say the least. I feel rather like a bonehead.
Anything special to know before a pull the timing belt, oil pump, ect?
Is TDC (#4 cylinder in firing position) the correct position to remove the belt, right? Or would it still be best to secure the cam from turning under valve spring tension?
While on the belt topic. Anyone care to offer if these engines are interference or not?
I'll surely be back for a quest for further knowledge of these things. But this should keep me busy for abit.
Any general sidekick or X-90 tips greatly appreciated.
If anyone cares to offer advice and direction that be cool. Otherwise this should be good for a few laughs for all.
Thanks, Bob

·
Super Moderator
24,514 Posts
You’ve determined that the engine is OBD1 by getting codes from the ECU?? Normally, all vehicles for sale and registration for 1996, in the US, would be OBD2. ??? That being said, there would be some similar circuits from the 96 Tracker, as shown over on Acks FAQS:
Or, depending on OBD1 or 2, these diagrams may help:

OBD2:

·
Super Moderator
24,514 Posts
By the way, at least anecdotally, the 16v Suzuki truck engines are not interference engines. You’ll find the Acks FAQS link fairly helpful, as much of the engine information will be the same for all 16v, with the exception of a couple of added sensors in the OBD2 engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bex,
Very clear wiring diagrams.
OBD 1 or 2? Ok, I'll where the dunce cap for awhile. I "determined" OBD2 by not being able to find a OBD2 plug.
Your answer coupled with a little further reading indicates that either OBD 1 or 2 there should an OBD 2 looking plug somewhere. I guess its located somewhere to the right of the driver's knee on the console hump but the only diagnostic plugs a could find where the two next to the right headlight. I better start "looking" a better. It is kind of a mess most of the plastic is off and components hanging by wiring. Its a mess fir sure. Not exactly the way I'm would do things. Also. I couldn't find sensors on the blown engine that are not on the engine from the 95 Sidekick. Other than the crankshaft position sensor that is. I'll give it a bit more thorough look over after it gets light out and warms a bit.
Meanwhile its off to frequently as questions for me. Where I obviously should have spent more time.
So Bex, sincere thanks again for your patience with me and my unschooled inquiries.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found it. Just right of steering column under the edge of the dash. Kind of red faced once I got all the miscellaneous crap out of the way its where it should be.
Once I get to the point I can install a battery I'm sure I'll find as Bev said it must be OBD 2. Hopefullly I'll find out what the deal is with the dash wiring. Not as ugly as first though but it seems like whomever this was they were chasing the restraint and airbag systems...

·
Super Moderator
24,514 Posts
If you don’t have a scanner (which is recommended that you get) you might want to try to go to Autozone or similar, and ask them to read your codes. They would have a code reader which would confirm if your OBD2 - otherwise, they won’t be able to get your codes. And if you do have the crank position sensor (not the sensor in the distributor) then you are OBD2, as this was added in 1996 for the OBD2 cars.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good suggestion Bex, however I do have a good scanner: Bluedriver, which uses your personal devive or smartphone coupled with the internet for operating software. I might need to go to a more advanced ($$$) scanner when I get to the ABS, Air Bags, and Restraint System (seat belts). Not sure if the Bluedriver can handle those areas.
However before I can scan anything I think I need to put an engine in, sort the wiring so i can comfortably install a battery without fear of burning harnesses cooking compents. Maybe I'll even see if it will start at that point but a scan first might be safer.
Yes a Scanner is a near necessity these days. Pretty much for anything beyound rotating tires or changing oil in my opinion. The way I see a scanner at least gives you a starting point if you, lets say, do something compromise wiring or a connection in the process of doing something basic like changing plugs. Budget or basic scanners can be had pretty inexpensively these days. A Bluedriver costs or use to cost under a $100.
Thats one reason why im hoping this thing. OBD2. I never want to go back to jumpers and flashing LCDs. Or heavens forbid taking a wild gander a the issue.
By the way Bex thanks again. Im loving those super clear wiring diagrams.
Regards

·
Super Moderator
24,514 Posts
Regarding the diagrams, thank (past poster??) Darrell, who uploaded a bunch of them that I copied. They’re excellent. Anyway, good luck with your project, and keep us advised of how things are going.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool. Does that mean if I long enough I'll find similar detailed diagrams of the x-90 chassis wiring?
As far as progress I almost have the nasty old blown engine out. I thought it would be out yesterday but its hanging up on something. Something related to that long brace (?) thing on lower left side of the engine/bell housing assembly. Its caked with 26 years of oily grime down there (leaking valve cover?). Might get a chance to crawl under late this afternoon and figure out whats going on. By the way I like the way Suzuki used the long studs to serve as pilot dowels on the lower corners of the engine/bell housing connetion. Saves alot of potential abuse to the transmission spline.

·
Super Moderator
13,894 Posts
Cool. Does that mean if I long enough I'll find similar detailed diagrams of the x-90 chassis wiring?
Not very likely - X-90 specific material would have been released as a supplement to be used with the Sidekick manuals and would be quite rare - most of it is going to be similar to the Sidekick, so you can generally use the Sidekick stuff.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This unit has the ABS and airbag circuits hacked into. Sounds like I'm going to need the supplement. There's a couple on Ebay currently but I'm not certain if they are for this unit I'm working on. From what Bex said I would gather all x-90s are OBD2. But I won't be certain till I get it together to the I can scan it. I guess with proper study of both diagrams Bex sent me and careful comparison to my engine wiring I should be able to sort OBD 1 or 2 issue for certain.
Im dealing with this type of issue

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe I'm making this to difficult. I think I missed the obvious: all I should have to do in order to sort the OBD issue is look at the part number on the ECU and run it on the oart number cross reference search...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good luck with the anti lock brakes. I took mine to the only Suzuki authorized dealer around here to read a ABS code and they couldn't read the code until they borrowed a reader from a former employee and had the parts guy use it. Apparently it was too old and he was the only one who knew how. Suzuki went with the minimum to comply with OBD regulations and the ABS codes are not readable through the OBD reader
There are at least two x90 supplements for the ABS and wiring but silly money

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Anything newer than '95 will be OBD II, unless a PO changed out the wiring harness.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The 1996 X90 OBD ll will show engine codes but not ABS codes.

·
Super Moderator
24,514 Posts
The ABS system will have its own, separate computer, so its codes won’t be read if you’re hooking up just to the ECU. Acks FAQS has the print out for it:
Anyway, as Ranger said, unless this car has been modified, it WILL be OBD2, and most of the information over on Acks FAQS for the 1996 Tracker, will be applicable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh Dear me

The ABS system will have its own, separate computer, so its codes won’t be read if you’re hooking up just to the ECU. Acks FAQS has the print out for it:
Anyway, as Ranger said, unless this car has been modified, it WILL be OBD2, and most of the information over on Acks FAQS for the 1996 Tracker, will be applicable.
Thanks all. I feel bettet now. I really do ike puzzles so I've got to get back to thinking I'm doing this for fun... No hurry here and the grimmy engine out. The replacement is super clean things fell better this morning.
And once again Bex thanks for the ABS diagrams! Super. I searched for an hour or so looking for them last night before giving up. I having a rough go it it finding my way around this site. Might have something to do with currently being limited to an android phone?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh by the way: Distributors.
Anybody know if the Sidekick Distributor will work with the x-90 given the Crank Position Sensor viruses Distributor sensing differences?
They do call for different part numbers? But Im wondering if the sidekick distributor just has an feature that the X-90 will ignore. I guess if yhis is the case the X-90 connection would have a least one fewer pins. I'll go take a look when i get back later today.

·
Super Moderator
24,514 Posts
If you search through the parts catalog, you’ll find that the 96 Suzuki Sidekick uses the same distributor part number as the X90 - 33100-70E00.
I think that you need to stop thinking that your X90 is OBD1. It isn’t. X90’s were only built from 96-98, AFAIK, and they are all OBD2.

·
Super Moderator
13,894 Posts
X90’s were only built from 96-98, AFAIK, and they are all OBD2.
That is correct only if you're in the North American markets - Canada, USA & Mexico - X-90's were also sold in other markets and there was no legal requirement for them to be OBDII.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts