Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
This is my first post. I have just taken over ownership of a USA 4x4 manual shift 4 door Sidekick. It seems that the AC system was manufactured and fitted by Wynns Frostemp in TX. But the date on the until more or less matches the date the car arrived here in the USA. Is this an aftermarket unit or something they subbed out? It was sold new in Michigan, ??? It does not work unless you hot wire the relay then it works fine, the switch is good etc as is the relay. Where does the wiring run from the switch to the relay or ? Anybody out there help?
John, who in the worse case scenario is going to rewire the relay and switch to work on command and disregard the original (ish) wiring.
By the way, I am in the desert in AZ and its already getting warm.

·
Super Moderator
13,707 Posts
A quick Google search suggests that may be an aftermarket unit.

There is information available on the internet that can assist with diagnosing issues with the factory system, which has control electronics between the switch and the relay, that for example will shut the system down if excessively low or high refrigerant circuit pressures are detected, of it the coolant temp exceeds a certain level, however, I'd say you would probably be very lucky to find someone with that sort of knowledge about aftermarket systems.

What is John's experience with a/c systems - surely if he has the experience he knows the dangers involved in what he's doing? Surely he has some idea of how the system would be wired? If he doesn't then should he be working on the system?

Which part of the system says it was manufactured by Wynns - do the a/c controls integrate into the dash - where's the evaporator mounted? Is it possible you're looking at single aftermarket component in a factory fitted system?

A Google search provided (602)254-2036 as a contact number for Wynns Frostemp - maybe give them a call?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Fordem et al.
I have about 40 years experience within the luxury auto trade. I understand that the concept of this forum is to help members with issues on these particular vehicles with which they may not be as familiar. I wished to request information as to the origin of the said AC system and how the wiring was, and is, run around the vehicle. This I have no doubt I can find out for myself given the time, I merely wished to a/ Introduce myself to the said forum and b/ Request any relevant information that would aid in my quest.

·
Super Moderator
18,420 Posts
b/ Request any relevant information that would aid in my quest...

the date the car arrived here in the USA.
Let's start with the year Sidekick.

And you hint that the vehicle was manufactured elsewhere. Origin? :huh:

With those two pieces of info, others may be better able to provide wiring specifics for you.

Pictures of the cabin control panel and any existing under-hood A/C related circuitry would be a plus, as well. ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,707 Posts
Doc

You seem to be unhappy about my response - why is that?

I'm simply pointing out that IF, as I believe is the case, you have an aftermarket system, you'd be better off contacting the manufacturer directly - I also asked a number of questions intended to help determine if in fact you have an aftermarket system - questions where you haven't taken the time to answer.

If what you have is the OE Suzuki air conditioning system, I can probably tell you exactly where to find the information you need, and even suggest reasons why it is non functional.

The third thing I did is point out to you, that John, whoever John is, is in my opinion being irresponsible in suggesting that you bypass the protective a/c controls - the fact that you brought John into the discussion suggests that you, regardless of your experience in the auto industry - which by the way, we are not aware of - lack experience in HVAC - there's no shame in that - HVAC is a specialized trade.

It is hard enough to walk someone through testing a system you are familiar with, but to attempt to do that based on a brand name (which is all you have given us to work with) is lunacy - we MUST establish what you have before we can move forward.

Ball in your court - if you seek assistance, you must provide information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts