Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad bought an 88 samari and ordered a new motor.Had some one else install it and it was for an 89 fuel injected.So no place to install the manual fuel pump.The installer went and put a electric fuel pump in it that is delivering 6 psi of fuel.The engine wont idle right until it warms up and it doesn't run right unless your running the thing hard.So I guess what I need is to see if any body knows if there is a switch to turn the fuel pump on and off with fuel pressure and what kind of regulator I need to fix the problem.Or if any body knows what psi fuel I need going to the stock carb?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I checked alldata and the suzuki service manual. neither one had a fuel pressure spec.
if the fuel pressure is too high it will over power the needle and seat. you will see fuel entering the carb bore from the venturi ports at idle.
if the fuel pressure is to low it will not be able to deliever enough fuel at high speed and under heavy loads, but it should Idle OK
sorry I can't get the actual pressure spec,but I would guess that it should be around 2-3 psi. hopefully someone will know for sure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks any way.I'm going to call Orielly and auto zone when I get time and see if they mite know the fuel pressure for that carb.Nothing else I will get an adjustable psi regulator with bypass and play with the adjustment till I find a psi that makes every thing run like it should.It idles bad till it warms up.Then it idles ok after that.We had to play with the idler to get that result.Probably because of the high psi on fuel.I'm not sure how the guy wired up the fuel pump,but it stops pumping when you push in the clutch.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
6psi is too high, as suggested previously you need to run at around 2-3psi.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.I wont buy cheap, Ill get a good one.Holley or comparable in quality. Mite go to a speed shop and get one for racing application that is fully adjustable and has a return to keep from dead heading the pump.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I put a regulator on it and it didn't run rite from the beginning.I think whats wrong is the mechanic has adjusted the carb to run on 6 psi so to get it to run on the regulator would require me to readjust the carb again back to 2-3 psi settings.Since I didn't have the time I just put the thing back together so he had a running vehicle at least.I will end up putting a weber carb with manual choke on it for his birthday.Does any body know what psi a weber runs at?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts