1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Administrator
16,334 Posts
I think the first question you need to answer is what are you hoping to achieve?

The answer to that will impact the answer to the remaining questions.

A body lift would not be my first choice, but my needs may not be the same as yours...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know much about this.....just thinking about a little more clearance when off roading. I am not into crawling or anything, just mild 4x4 trails where sometimes it is nice to have a little extra clearance. Hope this helps?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I realize it is more expensive, but you would be better off with a suspension lift than a body lift for off road. A body lift will only give the body more clearance. Its the frame you need to raise up.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
IMO neither will move your axles up off the ground any higher than they are now.

So essentially you do not improve your off-roading ground clearance any only lighten your wallet but hey that might help too. ;)

·
Registered
223 Posts
IMO neither will move your axles up off the ground any higher than they are now.

So essentially you do not improve your off-roading ground clearance any only lighten your wallet but hey that might help too. ;)
I have to disagree. I have a 2 1/2" chassis lift along with a 2" body lift and can go a LOT more places than I could when it was stock. The tires are taller also, which gets the axles higher, but getting more flex out of the suspension is a big benefit in off road situations. It definitely was not money wasted.

·
Registered
529 Posts
To get more clearance for your axels you need bigger wheels/tires, so in my opinion a suspension lift is the practical way to go.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
To get more clearance for your axels you need bigger wheels/tires, so in my opinion a suspension lift is the practical way to go.
I am sooo happy I don't have to pay for (4) BIG tires. Plus BIG tires are not as good on the road or in the snow.

But I guess it all depends on where you plan to spend more times. And how much "Extra Money" you have.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've never had any problems with mine and I go through 2 tracks, trails through the woods, and hilly washed out or sand pit seasonal roads in the summer. Depends on where you are going but that's my definition of mild off roading anyway. It's great in the snow too, as the radials look to have a narrower footprint than the same size AT tire.

·
Super Moderator
25,561 Posts
You can safely install 225/75/15's on this car with no lift or mods, which will lift your axles a bit - some people have installed 235's on the car, but you might have rubbing at full extension. I have the 225's on the car, and they fill the wheel well nicely, and better than the 215's I had on it before (although I understand that 225's are a difficult size to source). I think that the 215's on a lifted car would look, well, small.....

·
Administrator
16,334 Posts
I don't know much about this.....just thinking about a little more clearance when off roading. I am not into crawling or anything, just mild 4x4 trails where sometimes it is nice to have a little extra clearance. Hope this helps?
You've seen a number of opinions on lifts & clearance - here's mine.

A body lift by itself, lifts the body and leaves the frame and running gear exactly where it was, so by itself, it won't do much for you - larger tires lift the entire vehicle, but you need more clearance, and that is what a body lift will give you.

Having said that - I would suggest a suspension lift before a body lift - a suspension lift, by itself, will lift the entire vehicle, and make room for larger tires.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, all great comments/advice! And based on all responses I think I will just leave it the way it is. I just put brand new tires on (General AT Grabbers) so not going to change tires/wheels at this point.
I just do very mellow off roading so I think I will be fine as is.

Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
It is all a big snowball affect when you start modifying. When I added the lift and larger tires, the rig became very sluggish in acceleration. With no lower gears available (already had 5.12's), my only choice was more power. The stock 1.8 at freeway speeds would bounce back and forth between 3rd and 4th with the automatic. It was hard on the trans and driving me crazy, so I bit the bullet and installed the 2.3. A manual transmission would probably be easier to deal with larger tires, at least up to 235's.

·
Administrator
16,334 Posts
If you've just put new tires on and you're having a minor clearance issue, a suspension lift using spacers, is an option - it will get the entire vehicle higher, and has no impact on gearing and only a minor impact on stability - plus - it gives you the additional clearance for larger tires the next time you're buying.

I don't know about you, but I like a step-by-step approach that allows me to build on what I already have - amongst other reasons, it spreads the cost.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts