Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings - I have a 2013 Alto which is currently in the garage to fix a problem I've had with 3rd gear - an intermittent fault where sometimes when changing up or down into 3rd, there would be a crunching and grinding, and at other times, immediately after getting into 3rd, it would jump back out. (This happened with 3 separate drivers). I reported it a few months ago and the garage checked various linkages and did a test drive but couldn't replicate the issue. Took it back again recently and this time they saw it for themseleves and agreed a warranty repair. The gearbox has been stripped and they have ordered parts (although at this stage I don't know what they found). However, they said they have also noticed that the reverse gear is badly worn and have ordered parts for that as well.

Can anyone explain how the reverse could have worn like that - I don't reverse more than might be considered normal.

Many thanks

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
due to the way gearboxes "mesh" everything interrelates. When he said "reverse shows some wear" that could be very true because all the gears are on the same 2 shafts (and an additional idler for reverse) and when one starts to wear, others around it will wear as well due to the shafts not loading up in the correct places. I have seen certain models chew the 5th gear teeth off and take out 3rd and 2nd but leave the rest of the gears intact. Why that happens I don't know, its just where the loads are heaviest when it starts to fail i'm guessing.

Glad its a warranty repair for the sake of your wallet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply - don't understand the technicalities, but I had wondered if faults in one part of the gearbox might cause knock-on effects. Not good though for a car that is only about 18mths old!

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Thanks for the reply - don't understand the technicalities, but I had wondered if faults in one part of the gearbox might cause knock-on effects. Not good though for a car that is only about 18mths old!
unfortunately manufacturing faults happen, So do bearing failures. I think you have just been unlucky and have gotten a faulty one.

heres a neat animation you can shift gears in to see how it all works, maybe the mods will stick it in the FAQ's section as well?

A Real Transmission - HowStuffWorks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts