Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 98 sidekick 80k mi. It quit on my boy(who thinks running on empty is a challenge) H e put more gas in but it not start. I tried it after work and it started (one second max) the n nothing. I thought quick fix fuel filter. WRONG. if it sits a while it starts for a second one time is all. when i shut key off it makes clicking sounds in engine department for 3 seconds. i dont here any clicking from gas tank. checked fuse under dash it passed. Shes a rust bucket but she always did run good. What steps do i need to do to trouble shoot this? 1.6 litr 4 spd manual. thanks Chris

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am no expert but maybe dirt from the bottom of the tank clogged lines or injectors or something small fuel supposed to pass through. And you are sure it has fuel now?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
If its a rust bucket then its quite likely to be an issue with the grounds at the rear of the vehicle or the connections to the pump on the top of the tank.

·
Super Moderator
24,475 Posts
With the key in the on position, do you hear the fuel pump running for 3 seconds at each key on? You may need someone at the rear of the car while you do this, to confirm the pump runs for those 3 seconds. And yes, the ground for the pump is behind the left rear tail light, attached to the body of the car. This is a known rust area. You should also confirm that your check engine light is on with the key on, and off once the car is cranking.
You can easily determine if your issue is fuel, by trying to start the car on test fuel sprayed into the intake. If the car runs for as long as you are spraying fuel, then your problem is on the fuel side of ignition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts