Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my valve cover gasket this afternoon, but to get the cover off I had to remove the distributor. I don't know anything about how the distributor works and after reading up on it I think I'm in trouble. I know the distributor was turned while removed. Now I cannot get the engine to turn over, doesn't sound like its firing correctly. I'm not certain its a distributor issue, but that's all I can think of. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
4,436 Posts
When you remove the distributor you have to be sure it goes in the exact same position as it came out. But I see you already found this out. You have to find number 1 cylinder and top dead center. Then make sure the rotor in the dist. points to the #1 spark plug wire and then install the distributor

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
If you line up the timing marks to TDC and then look through the oil filler cap you will see if its on No. 1 TDC as the valves on no 4 will be open, if the rockers are loose then turn the crank another 360 degrees. Once you get the dizzy aligned then block off the vacuum advance and use a timing light to check the timing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gotcha. Yeah it was a rookie mistake. Anything special I need to know about finding TDC or getting the rotor pointed in the correct direction? Never done this before, seems like moving the piston would be very difficult.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Turn the engine over clockwise using a socket on the crank pulley, there is a mark for TDC on the crank sprocket though you may have to clean round it as its quite small. The timing belt cover has TDC marked on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts