Suzuki Forums banner

Wobbly engine fan

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  87sami 
#1 ·
The fan on the front of my engine has about a half inch range wobble when running. At idle you can hear a slight knocking from this happening.
Is this something that might just need tightened or most likely replaced?if it needs replaced what all is involved with removing that and with finding a replacement part? Thanks for any help!

1987 samurai

#3 ·
Thank you, yeah they are all snug.
Assume it to be the fan clutch then. A hard replace?
Local shop is telling me an hours worth of labor with part $300. I can get this off eBay for $65 shipped. Is it really that hard to replace?
Thanks again.

#4 ·
Replacing the clutch fan is simple. I haven't looked at mine yet, and it's colder than a witches tit out there so I won't be anytime soon! ;)

However, it's normally 4 bolts. I looked at rock auto and it didn't appear to be electric clutch. So there isn't even a harness to deal with.

Take the old one (fan and all) off the pulley by removing the bolts. Once out, take the fan off the old clutch. Assemble onto the new clutch. Bolt back to the pulley.

The time consuming part is you might have to remove the shroud first. Again, I haven't looked at mine so I don't know if it's necessary. But I've done plenty in the past, and it's a simple operation.

Hope that helps.

Now with all that said.......

We have a 60 hp engine, and they put a clutch fan on there?!!! C'mon!
Now that I realize this, I will be heading to the good ol' pick and pull!
For about $15 out the door, you can land a used cooling fan, and then buy a controller from your local parts store for like $40. Convert it to electric fan and free up some power.
But wait, our wimpy ass alternator would probably puke. 45 amps...
100 amp alternator swap runs about $100.
So for about $170 TOTAL... You can accomplish multiple things.

1) Free up power. Most likely minimal, but every bit counts!
2) Improve charge capacity and increase accessory options.
3) Normally increases economy by 1 or 2 mpg.

The 93 - 96 3.8L V6 Ford Taurus fans for some reason move a TON of air. Two speed fans. I've never run the high speed on any of my vehicles. I'm sure that any 4 cyl. E-fan will work for our application. The Taurus fan shroud might be too big for our radiator.

I've done the fan swap on two trucks (V8), and my 75 vette that is far from stock. It works great! My 2003 Dodge had the old Magnum v8 (not hemi)...I could feel a difference, and I also recorded a video of the speedo/tach and then again after. It was visibly noticeable. Economy went from 11 to 13 mpg. And towing my boat it still held the temperature at normal.
I also ran a trigger wire to the dash that lights up an LED light when the fan was running. I was paranoid. So on latter vehicles, I didn't bother with that.

#5 ·
Awesome, thanks for the information! That was my main concern was whether or not I would have to remove anything major in order to work on it. It seems fairly open and accessible. I also will not be out there anytime real soon because it is a high of 5° today here in Denver,record-breaking at that! I will go ahead and order the part and I will keep your updates in mind as well, that all sounds very helpful.

Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.