Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably need some advice here. There were two solinoids mounted on the front of the engine on top by the water thermostat. I don't know which ones they are. Both had wires attached to them and at one time had vacum hoses. The hoses are gone at this time. Wanting to clean up the wiring, I peeled back the tape on the wires and clipped the ground wires from the solinoids and coiled them up and placed behind the battery. I retaped the wire bundle and everything looks better. The problem is the vehicle now has no fire. It's like I have no battery. No click on the starter at all. Lights work, horn honks......no start. The wiring diagram shows that both wires from the solinoids go straight to the ECM. Do these solinoids have to have a loop on them to the ECM? Could this be some kind of a safety in the ECM for the emissions?

GIZMO

·
Super Moderator
12,254 Posts
Perhaps telling us what vehicle, what year, what engine and where you are might be a good idea.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm just guessing that you have switched to a Weber carb. The removal of the wires shouldn't cause a no start problem. My guess would be that while pulling on the wireing harness you either pulled the wire loose from the bottom of the starter or blew a fuse. Check those first and see.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally.....after pouring over the wireing diagrams and tracing wires, got GIZMO fired up. Found the fuse link fuse blown....but that was not the problem. Don't know why it was blown because I had the battery disconnected when I was working with the wires. Replaced the fuse and still would not start. Traced the wire down to the starter solinoid and placed a DVM on the wire and turned the key. I had 12 Volts on the wire. Hooked a wire on the battery and touched the solinoid and engine turned over. Getting closer. The connector for the solinoid had contact grease and dirt on it. I cleaned the connector and plugged it back in. Hit the key and it fired right up. Man that was frustrating. I guess moving the wires around moved the wire just enough to lose contact.....anyway back on the road again.:lol:

GIZMO

1 - 5 of 5 Posts