Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself in a real pickle with my Suzy's starter going but there seems to be no fire...This has become a real mess converting this baby back to her original self.

Just a quick overview. I have a clicky starter relay kit from low range off-road with a red cable attached fuse going to the positive terminal on my battery. A purple female plug going to the male prong on the starter solenoid, a ground grounded. Lastly what may be the issue is the, what I believed to be the ole wh/y cable originally designated for the positive battery terminal?? Then I have a bl/y cable slipped in with a white wire.

If anybody would care assist me in troubleshooting my wiring I would be very much obliged!

Thank you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My pleasure,

View attachment 46481

View attachment 46489

View attachment 46497

So You will see the female clip onto the male prong of the solenoid (purple). Positive terminal has cable with fuse (red). Ground (black) with blue plastic at site of screw, grounded above the relay kit. White cable comes from the kit and I fused it with what I believe was the old bl/y wire that went to the solenoid?? and lastly there is another cable I grounded though thought went to the positive terminal as well?? this cable is screwed in under the relay kit and is a wh/y that comes out of the harness before the junction in the top right.

First time loading up photos hope you can work with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to hear that I have wired the kit well.

When I turn the key ole Suzy's starter is kicking but there seems to be no ignition.
Spark plugs and distributor cap are well to do, I figure I missed a wire maybe? But being new to engines I feel I may be overlooking something when I look at Ack's. Appears to me that I have all I need plugged in.

Is there by chance some seemingly inconspicuous group of wires that are essential to being able to turn over the engine and light her up? Ridiculously vague I apologize, but starting the engine seems it could only call upon just a select few wires...?

Thank you for your assistance Dudleydo.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Connections look correct.
W/Y is from alternator to +Batt.
B/Y is for starter solenoid (now correctly feeding one leg of your relay coil).

Assuming the starter is turning over the engine as it should, check to see if you have voltage at the + terminal of the coil when the ignition switch is ON.

Also check the wiring between the coil and distributor is connected.

I will include my favorite color-coded wiring diagram here for future reference.

Any questions, just ask.

ETA: Hmm. The attached image is shrunken. I will try to find a link to it.
EATA: Here you go:

And this is one with the clicky starter fix applied:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there anything available to show me what the previous owner may have done to convert it to a push start button. I feel with such I may be able to work my way back from that modification to the original wiring.

With school consuming my time I have yet to go out and get a voltmeter to check the ignition coil, but I have out of desperation put my finger in the distributer cap to test for a jolt with no such surprise. Everything worked before I removed the modification aforementioned, could my ignition coil really be the culprit? Perhaps I just mistakenly plugged some things?

Thank you all for the assistance! Once spring break rolls around and I have some time I will see about getting some more detailed pictures to aid in y'all's seeing what the heck I am dealing with.

·
Registered
149 Posts
+1 What Dudleydo said. You must still have to turn the key to ON for the car to start. Make sure the dash indicator lights are lit (battery, oil pressure etc.) before cranking the engine, or you will have no spark.
If this is not the case, look at your fuses. There is one fuse that feeds the B/W wire that powers the coil and alternator among other things. If you can't find a faulty fuse, connect a temporary wire jumper from your battery positive terminal to the positive coil terminal (black wire with white stripe). your dash indicators should light up and when you crank the starter it should start up if everything else is as it should be (that's how they hotwire these little buggers).

·
Registered
616 Posts
starter problem...

I find myself in a real pickle with my Suzy's starter going but there seems to be no fire...This has become a real mess converting this baby back to her original self. Thank you.
Let's start from the beginning.

The above statement indicates that the starter system is working but the engine is not actually starting. Is that the case?

If so, it sounds like you have some sort if ignition power issue rather than a starter problem.

Otherwise, here is some troubleshooting info on the Clicky Starter Unit (CSU)

The pictures you posted seem to indicate that you have wired everything properly -

here is a picture of the relay connector schematic:

The original starter wire is connected to the relay coil -86.

The other side of the relay coil is connected to ground -85.

The fused connection to the battery is connected to the common side of the relay switch -30- (based on the fact that you have a manufactured CSU).

The Normally-Open connector -87- on the relay is connected to the starter solenoid connector.

Are you aware that there is a normally-open switch on the clutch pedal that prevents the starter from working unless you depress the clutch pedal? It may be defective. You can bypass this safety feature temporarily by disconnecting the wires from the switch and connecting the two wires together. with a short jumper wire and appropriate connectors.

If there is no power to the ignition circuit you may -

have a blown ignition circuit fuse. Check the fuse box using one of the circuit diagrams, above. A true copy of both of them can be obtained by doing a search for wiring diagram at Ack's FAQ (see link in my signature, below)

A defective ignition switch. Roadless Gear sells NIB Maruti (Indian SJ413) replacement units with keys and matching door lock tumblers.

a (shudder...)

Hacked wiring harness where the PO tried to modify the ignition circuit on the original wiring harness and failed miserably. :( There is not much you can do about this other than, using one of the above diagrams, carefully examine the ignition circuit and fix the problem.

I do hope that this helps!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back again with pictures, yea!
I am currently without light and no spark yet I do have power to the starter.

All the wiring in the engine bay appears to be just fine, yet no voltmeter still to let me know if there is even power going to the ignition coil...I have moved my focus to under the dash with Ack guide in hand yet am puzzled by many a wire.

Photo (1490) is of some black and whites that have been "frankensteined" with electrical tape and lead to the main wire harness under the dash and most likely to the horn, which I do not have, and a ground somewhere.

Photo(1491) red wire that was dangling from the back of the tack/speedometer that I plugged with a free female red wire that resided in mid-console area. Plugged it hoping to get my head lights going.

Photo(1492) this switch not sure to what had nothing plugged in, blue and white wire.

Photo(1493) has the door chime/buzzer clip, cannot find its' partner, then a blue wire(female) with no luck finding its' mate, and a black male plug same story...no mate.

Last and I sincerely apologize for the length, photo (1494) what looks like something to do with the brake, but sometimes the obvious is not. A ground wire coming off that was "frankensteined" to solid green and goes into the wire harness along with a yellow red that goes into the speaker panel along the driver side, likely to the brake light?

Any assistance with the plethora of wires and possibilities as to why no lights would be very much welcome. All fuses are in happily in working order.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It appears that the horn was hooked up to blow when you turn the key to start the engine...

Having figured this much I am still stumped why I would have no lights and more so what to rig up or tear out to get the key turn back to it's original setting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
All right well my inexperience with electrical wiring leaves me dumbfounded and at wits end.
Is it within my beginner level to take apart the wiring harness and just replace the wires for both the lights and ignition?
Anybody have experience with this and willing to give me some detailed advice seeing as I am very new to this, but need to get my Suzi running again.
I managed to get my lights back by finding that the w/y wire had come out of it's ring terminal yet, this is so cliche, now my starter is silent...

Any advice on my current situation would be again, greatly appreciated. Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts