Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our 2007 GV for about a year and a half. The woofer under the driver seat was blown when we bought it. My friend gave me a couple subs already in a carpeted enclosure.

I figure since the wiring harness is there already, easy to access under the driver's seat, I could just splice in pos/neg speaker wires to run to the cargo area, connect those to the new speakers and I'd be set. However, I don't know which wires are which in that harness, because there's more than 2.

Also- that stock woofer is pretty small, and I'd be installing a pair of 10"-12"
speakers, so do I need an amp?

Keep in mind, I'm not going for thumping bass, here. I'm just going for richer lows/mids, which is what the original purpose of the stock woofer was.

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts
I think you'll need an amp AND cross-over circuitry to dial in the lower frequency needs. Maybe gain control as well. :(

Auto Sound Shop questions / guidance needs there, IMO.

I'm running a powered sub with those attributes and love it!

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KSC-SW11-Compact-Enclosed-Subwoofer/dp/B00BO8O9XQ[/ame]

And a pair of properly enclosed 10" - 12" won't fit under your seat, if that is your intention. :huh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you may have misunderstood me. There is already a stock speaker located under the driver's seat. I did research on it, and discovered that it is a woofer, intended for lower range than the other speakers throughout the cabin.

The speakers I want to install would go in the cargo area, not under a seat.

Also, if the stock speaker was intended to be used for lower range audio to begin with, why would I need to isolate the frequency for the speakers I want to install?

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts
Because the stock system isn't designed to push the two large speakers that you have in mind IMO. An Audio Engineering type assist is my suggestion. ;)

I now see the cargo area reference though.

Does your stock enclosure have a cross-over circuit built in? Look for nothing more than a resistor or two. I'm guessing it does.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The wiring diagram shows power going to the stock woofer and paralleled connections to the rear speakers, almost certainly implying that it is amplified.

In which case, in addition to subwoofer drivers you would need a subwoofer amp with speaker-level input connections.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welp, I sincerely appreciate all the advice, guys! It seems that I will not be comfortable enough tackling this job myself. The current audio quality is not *horrible* I just have to tweak my EQ settings to prevent distortion. The under-seat stock woofer always stays unplugged, because it sounds horrible when plugged in. Honestly, if I could just find a cheap enough replacement stock woofer, that'd be best, but money's tight.

I love my GV and I'd rather not start a project at all if I can't do it the right way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts