Suzuki Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,878 Posts
If you use an amp clamp and a scope you can record all the insidious faults in the motor, incl brush, commutator, winding..current draw. all without removing a screw..
I don’t have a scope, but even so, would love to see a video of how this is done. I’ve looked on YT but can’t find one that indicates your tests. Do you know of one???

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,791 Posts
Keep in mind all motors are the same so regardless if it is wiper, fuel starter, the test would return the same information..

And have a merry Xmas, and happy, prosperous new Year

Reactions: Bex

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
before you buy one, try to have a peek inside, dc electric motors are not rocket science....it could be even stupid such as stuck motor brushes needing to be freed

all my bad starters ever needed was new brushes.
I wonder just how long a wiper lasts as the 4x4 is 23 years old now?
Looked at the video and i am amazed you can interpret things from squiggly lines.

·
Super Moderator
25,878 Posts
Keep in mind all motors are the same so regardless if it is wiper, fuel starter, the test would return the same information..

And have a merry Xmas, and happy, prosperous new Year
Very cool. Thanks for posting the video.

And a Merry Xmas to you (and everyone else here), as well as a happy New Year. All good things, and good health to you, for the coming year.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Very cool. Thanks for posting the video.

And a Merry Xmas to you (and everyone else here), as well as a happy New Year. All good things, and good health to you, for the coming year.
And may all of our Suzuki's take a year off from requiring repairs!

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,791 Posts
Hilarious that we just discussed this, a neighbor came over and asked me to check his wiper motor, the wipers froze to the window and when he switched them on the jumped and quit...

Local garage quoted 400.00 to replace, final cost ~.20 cents, a wire burned of the wiper plug (over load)... motor is healthy..

·
Super Moderator
25,878 Posts
Hilarious that we just discussed this, a neighbor came over and asked me to check his wiper motor, the wipers froze to the window and when he switched them on the jumped and quit...

Local garage quoted 400.00 to replace, final cost ~.20 cents, a wire burned of the wiper plug (over load)... motor is healthy..
I firmly believe that there is no such thing as a coincidence, so when things like this happened, I am amazed at how some ‘pieces’ just fit together.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I looked at Rockauto and compared numbers for the wiper motor and a 95 appears to be the same as a 98 . So does this mean i can go to a wrecker and pick up an 89-98 wiper motor to use interim as the new motor gets bought or the old motor gets fixed.??

·
Super Moderator
25,878 Posts
They all have the same part numbers, but you should confirm it here. It’s listed under ‘electrical’. Note that this is for the Vitara/Sidekick, not the Sport that is in your signature…???

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The problem of having a unique 4x4? Rockauto at least points out the 1.8 liter engine as the one that has all the parts available. A friend of mine has offered to fix the motor once I get it out . Sure glad I have the 4x4 as the slopes around here just got 6" snow covering ice.

·
Super Moderator
25,878 Posts
Your post was a bit misleading, inquiring if the 89 through 98 wold fit your car, considering that your car was only made from 96 to 98. However, it appears that the Sport also uses the same wiper motor….38101 60A40.
So yes, any 89 through 98 Sidekick or Tracker will work.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thank you, I do not always articulate my thoughts as well as others.

·
Super Moderator
25,878 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well I bought the battery terminal remover with grand hopes of using it to remove my rusted solid wiper arm and before attempting said feat I removed the pins that hold the plastic cowling on. Could not get the tool on at all without breaking the plastic, but I did manage to lift the plastic up high enough to see that there is no access to the wiper arms at all except through the center hole in the firewall. It appears that the 4 bolts holding the motor to the firewall are the only bolts I need to remove and then pop the wiper linkage off as I pull it out. What could possibly go wrong? Nice fat wire harness is zap strapped in several places and they will have to move too. As my multiple cracked windshield is getting replaced soon the wiper arm will be removed by the glass company and I am hoping they clean all the rust off so that I can do the rock back and forth with results, if need be.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts