1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whining Noise (GV 2.5 v6 1999)

Hi All,
Apologies if this is a repeat question.
My GV recently started this whining noise which seems to be from somewhere along the center of the car. Now I'm thinking somewhere on the drive train. Clutch, Gearbox, Prop Shaft or Diff/s. I don't think its wheel bearings because the noise does not behave as such.
Okay, what it does. It seems to make the noise in all gears, except I can't say the same for 1'st and 2'nd for reason of the speed required to generate the noise.
1. It starts whining from around 60km/h, and up, being very prominent at higher speeds.
2. let's say I get to around 80km/h and I allow the engine to run free, no acceleration or deceleration, now I play gently with the accelerator, gas on/off, the noise gets worse with slight power on/off. If you put the gas pedal down to the floor (full power) it's there, but not as prominent as when I put slight power on as described above. Maybe the sound of the engine is now more prominent.
3. If I push in the clutch while still in gear at 80 km/h, no more noise,
4. If I push in the clutch an disengage the gear at 80 km/h, no noise,
5. If I push in the clutch, disengage the gear at 80 km/h, and let the clutch out, freewheeling, no noise,

Reason for thinking that it's not clutch, diff or gear/transfer box,
1. When standing still with engine running, the release or pressure bearing seems dead quiet. Clutch in and out, so I'm thinking no clutch problem,
2. In points 3,4,5 above the noise goes completely so this makes me think that it could not be gear/transfer box or diff. Should it not continue to make a noise in these situations if one of them had a problem?

Okay, so what do you think? Any ideas of what it could be? Could it be the pro-shaft? Please do correct me if I don't make sense in any of my comment above.

Thanks in advance for any comments,
Gary,

·
Super Moderator
19,090 Posts
I'm thinking differential (gear) whine. Have you dumped the gear oil looking at the quality and for debris yet? :huh:

I'd raise the vehicle on a frame rack (with tires suspended), and run it through the gears while listening / observing from below. That should pinpoint the source.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi Max,
I have not yet drained the oil/s. I was planning on doing a full oil service on all boxes and diff's weekend after next and wanted to check where I should start looking first.

May I add that this only started 2 weeks ago and was very faint at first but has gradually been getting louder over the past week and approx 400km later. Also, you can feel a slight vibration in the clutch pedal and gear leaver with the noise.

I'm thinking that, based on your comment, I'll start with the diff, check the oil for debris and work my way through the rest until I find debris OR not? Do an oil change as I go?

And yes, the idea of putting onto a rack and listening for the sorce, I'll look into that.

Thanks, Gary

·
Super Moderator
19,090 Posts
Also, you can feel a slight vibration in the clutch pedal and gear leaver with the noise.
That leans in the direction of a possible tranny / clutch issue, or just a coincidental vibe. :huh:

The trans oil draining findings may lead to something upon inspection.

Are you 4WD? (w/transfer case)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, 4x4 with transfer case. Something which I have used very little since I got the vehicle 4 years ago. Can't wait for the opportunity though to take it on a good off road trip.

·
Super Moderator
19,090 Posts
I would suspect the transfer case is the noise culprit
A candidate only if engaged, which doesn't seem to be the case here. ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
This is exactly what my truck (GMC 2500 4x4) did when the transfer case went out. Power "flows" or is transferred through the entire drive system whether the xfer case is engaged or not. Mine went out because the xfer case developed a leak on the very bottom (common on XHD-263) and all the fluid leaked out. Since all the internals were still spinning, even when NOT in 4x4, it eventually cooked itself with no lubrication. I would start with the xfer case.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
19,090 Posts
Interesting! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I purchased the vehicle I had some noises coming from the transfer case. As a result I managed to get them, the dealer, to "fix" it. They replaced the drive chain, if I can call it that, it's a multi strand chain. They gave me the old chain so I know it was done. No other old spares, so I suppose it's possible something else has gone. I was hoping that it would've lasted longer than 4 years before it developed another problem.
Now you've mentioned it, it may actually be a little oily on the bottom of that case. Some time back I had lots of squeaky noises coming from my suspension when turning and going over bumps or through ditches. Was a pain in the neck so, as I was told this will help, I sprayed it down with paraffin (kerosene). So, at the time, I never took note of the oily transfer bottom because I though it was the paraffin.

I'll be looking there first too before I go too far.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all, took it out for a drive tonight to double check on all my remarks. We can scratch all I said in the first post. I took a good listen to it and this is the latest.
Don't know why I did not hear it few days ago but it does whine all the way. In gear and out. Clutch in and out. Driving at around 50km/h + gas on/off. Freewheeling too. Just have not tried to engage 4x4 yet.

Thanks for your comments this far, much appreciated.
Gary

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hi guys, an update on my findings thus far. Max, looks like you had it first time round.
Yesterday I started doing oil changes. Did the transfer case first but oil level's good and no sign of major ware in oil.
Then the rear diff, not good. While draining some small pieces of steel dropped out. Once drained I stuck my little finger inside the drain plug and could feel about 2 pieces of metal in the bottom of the diff. They feel about 20mmx10mmx3mm in size. Since I live in a flat with no garage and car repairs are not allowed, I have not removed the diff yet to take a look inside. I might need to get permission to do the work.
I will post updates as soon as I have news.
Thanks, Gary

·
Super Moderator
19,090 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts