Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my windshield replaced due to a rock splitting the window down the middle. Now i have the dreaded whistle/vibration noise when driving down highway.

I have the company coming out to replace again tomorrow the windshield. But i believe the re-assembled the trim wrong as i have a gap now.

I was wondering if anyone could take a photo and post it up here for me to reference. I need a photo of the exterior of windshield between wipers down at trim by hood.

i am looking for a 2006 grand vitara picture only please.

Before the change it was solid to my recollection. Now there is a gap there. But i cant find a photo of this online. Any help would be greatly appreciated so i can show the company what they need to fix. They have been here three times and still not got it solved.

·
Registered
785 Posts
A whistling noise after replacing a windshield is usually due to gaps in the adhesive used to glue the windshield in place. I've had my windshield replaced several times and after one disastrous replacement the wind noise was very obvious. After they removed and re-glued the windshield the noise disappeared.

Here's a photo of my GV which is a 2006, notice the crack in the windshield. I've given up replacing them, they often get broken within weeks of the repair. Not worth worrying about anymore.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Thank you very much for the photo I have same split in window trim as the photo window split in same place too
In Denmark, you can not get the windscreen replaced on site for the same reasons. They will take your car away, mount the new windscreen, then let it sit for 24 hours to settle in the glue, and that stops the cracks for reappearing on a new windscreen.

Annfan, if you had yours replaced so many times, then I would recommend going to a different place, that will do the replacement indoors, and keep the car stationary for a period of time after the installation. This should stop these cracks from appearing after fitting.

My cousin had a windscreen replaced, and it cracked as he drove over the curb leaving the glass shop. He went straight back and they explained to him that they did not give it enough time to settle in, apologized and fitted another one for free. This time they kept the car better and he never had a problem after that incident again.

I'm sure that the glue used to fit the windscreen would have such instructions included...

·
Registered
863 Posts
Annfan, are you with AMI?

I usually replace windshield twice a year (in may and september) on my rav4, usually go to local glass shop which is just 5 mins away from my home. They do not too bad job, but all exterior moldings pop up just within several days after that and they cant do anything about it. Tried to re-glue, replaced for a new one, nothing can solve this problem.

Now I got several chips and thinking that I will need to replace my windshield in september on GV, but dont really wanna go to the same folks. Any recommendation you might have about good installers taking AMI from AMA?

also, I know there are some windshields with sun shadow on the top and heating wipers area, anybody has installed it, any names/brands would be great?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Annfan, are you with AMI?

I usually replace windshield twice a year (in may and september) on my rav4, usually go to local glass shop which is just 5 mins away from my home. They do not too bad job, but all exterior moldings pop up just within several days after that and they cant do anything about it. Tried to re-glue, replaced for a new one, nothing can solve this problem.

Now I got several chips and thinking that I will need to replace my windshield in september on GV, but dont really wanna go to the same folks. Any recommendation you might have about good installers taking AMI from AMA?

also, I know there are some windshields with sun shadow on the top and heating wipers area, anybody has installed it, any names/brands would be great?
Speedy Auto Glass does great work here.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Annfan, if you had yours replaced so many times, then I would recommend going to a different place, that will do the replacement indoors, and keep the car stationary for a period of time after the installation. This should stop these cracks from appearing after fitting.
dkguffe, I was replacing the windshields because they where getting broken by rock chips. The municipality here uses 1/4" sharp granite chips as a traction aid on the snow and ice during the winter instead of clearing the roads properly. Everybody's windshield gets cracked on a regular basis. I deleted coverage for the glass from my insurance because its so expensive, over $300/year just to insure the windshield. The stone chips also damage the paint as well, there are places on my GV where the paint has literally been "sandblasted" away.

semco, I don't know what 'AMI" is. I can certainly recommend a glass shop NOT to go to. They replaced the windshield and caused over $3000 damage to the vehicle. Broke all the interior trim, ripped the headliner, broke the mirror, scratched the dash, dented and scrapped the paint off the area around the windshield. You don't want to go there, ever. I've had an aftermarket windshield with the tinted band at the top and there was so much distortion in the glass it was unusable. Don't know if they are all like that, but I have a genuine Suzuki part in at the moment and its fine. It was slightly more expensive than aftermarket, but not by much.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Speedy Auto Glass does great work here.
Jeff, are you from Calgary, which one is particular?

dkguffe,
semco, I don't know what 'AMI" is.
AMA offers this company (AMI Autoglass Maintenance Inc from Edmonton) as glass replacement company. It costs $186 per yea and you pay $50 as deductible. You can replace your windshields almost everyday. No complain so far and I am taking in the 3rd vehicle to them now.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Windshields have become a part of the structural integrity of the vehicle, leading to problems like these. It's also typical and good practice to leave a window open so there's no pressure change as the glue cures (though I doubt car interiors are airtight).

I've also heard you can get an aftermarket windshield with top tinting, but the report of poor quality bothers me.

Why does no one make a universal shade band tint film with graduated tint?

·
Registered
863 Posts
no way, having band tint film over the top looks "montoniero", it doesnt look good at all:eek:

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
No, I don't mean a solid shade band. I mean a strip of tint film that looks just like the gradual faded band in a tinted windshield. After all, they're doing exactly the same thing when they tint the plastic layer, to create the integrated shade band, that goes between the two layers of glass that comprise the windshield.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Had my screen replaced today, what a nightmare with the company fitting it. I have the rear camera kit fitted, genuine Suzuki stuff but first guy said the first screen wouldn't fit the new camera/mirror kit so had to order a genuine screen from Suzuki.
2nd guy phoned week later and when i explained about the mirror/camera screen think he got cold feet as he then palmed me off with the new screen was still in transit :rolleyes:
3rd guy was the same :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Eventually another chap came today and said he couldn't do it as he might break the screen as the new mirror was a Ford fitment :lol:
All because the rear view mirror/monitor screen bolts over the existing piece which is bonded to the screen so as i was at work wife phoned me and said he doesn't want to fit it so eventually had to talk him through mirror removal over the phone.
Gee it's not hard, one torx screw and two other small bolts and one small electrical connector.
Anyway all done and said don't drive it for two hours but will leave it 12 hours or more to make sure the sticky stuff sets.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
At the moment, our GV is at an auto glass place (Broco on Imperial in Burnaby) having the windshield replaced. It was cracked by a rock last summer on Hwy 2 in Alberta. The rock hit so hard there was glass shrapnel on the dashboard from the inner glass layer being broken. We elected to delay replacing it until after this winter's highway driving. Good thing we delayed it, since it collected multiple more hits.

The glass shop was suggested by our mechanic. I discussed with the glass shop the various issues: I wanted a sunshade band but this was only available in aftermarket windshields and I had heard the aftermarket windshields suffered from optical distortion. I understood that as of the 2009 model year, Suzuki was using a thicker windshield, and I'd like to have that. I also mentioned the rattling noise problem.

The glass shop responded:
- Suzuki does not make windshields. They buy them from the same companies that make replacements. And therefore they should be of the same optical quality. That made sense to me.
- if bought as an oem replacement, the windshield would have the original green tint, but no sunshade band.
- if bought as an aftermarket windshield, a shade band was optional.
- they quoted the names of three brands of windshields, of which I recall only PPG and Pinkerton. They indicated the Pinkertons tend to be used on more upscale cars. I chose a Pinkerton one with a sunshade band.
- They said they'd done several GV's, and never had one brought back for rattles or anything else. They said they used a strip of foam to hold the windshield off the dashboard while the adhesive cured.
- They said all the replacements had the same part number and so there was no way to determine which, if any, were the thicker or thinner versions.
- They said the windshield with the sunshade band would cost about $140 extra because it was an upgrade of the factory spec, but later corrected that to no charge because the factory spec was not immediately available and cost the same as the sunshade tint one anyway.

I always thought the sunshade tint band was in the plastic layer between the two glass layers. As such, it should cost very little AND such sunshade bands should be easily available to retrofit as an external film. The shop said the sunshade tint actually is in the glass, so the extra cost is more understandable.

The insurance company gives them something like $430 for the GV windshield repair (cheap by today's standards), and my glass deductible is $200. I'll post again after I pick it up later today.

·
Registered
785 Posts
- Suzuki does not make windshields. They buy them from the same companies that make replacements. And therefore they should be of the same optical quality. That made sense to me.
Thanks for the update geevee. My aftermarket windshields were made in China. If I remember correctly, the OEM ones are made in Japan. Draw your own conclusions....

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Ok, I have it back. Wow, it's been 5 years since I looked through a new windshield. Seems like there's nothng there.

There's no optical distortion that I can see. The sunshade band looks nice, and the windshield also has the oem black cross-hatching above the rearview mirror.

I can't detect any new noises. As long as they didn't scratch the paint around the window frame, which wouldn't show up for years, it seems 100%.

And I mentioned "Pinkerton" as the brand above. It's supposed to be "Pilkington", fer chrissake.

Without insurance, this would have cost almost $900 with taxes. I don't know where the mentioned $430 came from.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thanks for the info, geevee. I've had several rocks chip the windshield this past winter (I travel a lot around the southern interior for work), and the last two I had both cracked, so I'll be looking to get the windshield replaced. I'll make sure whoever does the work does it indoors and lets the car sit long enough (I've had replaced windshields leak in the rain, so...).

·
Registered
785 Posts
Glad it worked out okay. I don't have insurance coverage on my windshield, its just too expensive here in Calgary (The Cracked Windshield Capital of Canada). When I deleted it off my policy I think I saved about $300 a year. I don't know of anybody here who carries insurance on their windshield. Its cheaper to just pay for a replacement when they get really badly cracked.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts