Suzuki Forums banner

Winch Plug Mount 12VDC 800A - ideas?

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  rallison203 
#1 ·
Hello all. 2001 Tracker LT V6.

I'm searching for ideas for locating a permanent plug mount / power source on my Tracker, to power up my new winch.

Some months ago I purchased a 12V winch with 12000 lbs pulling capacity, for a project. I didn't want to install the winch permanently, so instead I purchased a steel plate, adapter and hardware to attach it to my 2" rear trailer hitch.

This location has its advantages and disadvantages, but I didn't want the additional weight on the front of the car without beefing up the suspension.

The main disadvantage here is the distance from the rear winch to the front vehicle battery. For my project I used some old jumper cables, but the connections were weak and the results were ok, not great. So recently I purchased a 30' set of 1 gauge jumper cables (Energizer Model ENB130) with quick-disconnects that the manufacturer says are compatible with an Anderson SB175 style plug. I'd like to flush mount the female end of the quick disconnect onto the OUTSIDE of the car, for example on the front bumper or front fender.

I think I'm limited to installing this plug somewhere on the front of the car, since the pigtail for the battery side of the quick-disconnect plug looks pretty short, maybe 3 feet or so.

I've uploaded a shop photo of one style of flush mount. This looks ok but I'd need a weather cover too.

Has anyone done this? Ideas / photos?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
SB Series
https://www.andersonpower.com/content/dam/app/ecommerce/product-pdfs/DS-SB175.pdf

Whilst I don't doubt that an Anderson SB175 will handle the current draw of a 12V winch, it's not rated for anything close to the 800A you're asking for. There are IP64 rated boots available, and just so you know, there's no male/female differentiation.

I'm not certain that I would want a live externally accessible Anderson connector on a vehicle - I would want it out of sight, and out of reach of curious fingers, and if possible isolated.

#3 ·
I don't know why it's rated to 800A; that's just the packaging says.

However I agree with you, so I installed the short pigtail under the hood and wrapped the extra length around the air filter housing, for now.

The cable set arrived in the mail since I wrote my original post. The package contains 2 sets of cables. The short set is about 3' long with a female connector on one end. On the other end are two ring terminals which are meant to be bolted to a permanent 12v source, typically a battery. The other set is about 25' long; it has a male connector on one end and 2 battery clamps on the other.

I permanently installed the short cables under the hood and bolted the ring terminals to the battery. This gives me a quick disconnect for either winch or jump starting which is what I needed.

So I'm going to abandon the exterior flush mount idea tho I thought it would look pretty cool mounted on the fender. I didn't really want to use battery clamps to power my winch, but no other configuration made sense.

#5 ·
Maybe. I suspect the connectors may not be an Anderson product. I might reconfigure it later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.