Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

I wish to fit a winch on my grand vitara 2009, but I don't want to put a bulbar to avoid excess weight.
This company,
AFN winch mounting plates - MORE 4x4
makes a hidden winch mount which seems pretty good.
'Couldn't find any equivalent in Australia.

As anyone experienced this winch mount? If so, did you fit a winch purchased in Australia? Freight is very expensive from Europe and it would cost me an arm and a leg to have both mount and winch shipped from Poland…

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've seen a few pics of vehicles with a hidden winch behind the bumper.

There is not a lot of room to play with, and small narrow winches are expensive.

If you don't want a bull bar, (mine is aluminium and light), it would be cheaper to mount it out the front of the bumper, but then it would be more exposed to hits.

Decisions decisions ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am also very keen of that solution since i don't want a big heavy bulbar. I will probably buy the AFN Mount some time during the summer. I live in Europe so shipping of this mount is not a problem for me. I don't have any experience with this mount, but a friend of mine have a similar AFN mount on his 2003 Grand vitara, and its very strong. But then again, the old GV is probably a bit easier to work with due to the separate frame.

·
Registered
36 Posts
And if you find anther place for the solenoid box you should probably be able to fit most winches like this type: Classic Series - MORE 4x4

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
I am sure that a local welder/fabricator could fit you up for much less..

I have mounted winches on several trucks using a similar configuration. I mounted the relay box under the hood with control plug/switches in the grill and on the dash..

Your other option would be to fit a hidden hitch, the winch would then be portable and used both front and back....This has worked well on our local rescue vehicles...

... Philip

·
Registered
429 Posts
Dear all,

I wish to fit a winch on my grand vitara 2009, but I don't want to put a bulbar to avoid excess weight.
Again if weight is your concern, also look at the weight of the winch you purchase. Some winches are 42kg+.
The one i just bought is only 28kg with dyneema rope.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you know a fabricator with some imagination, this mounting guide should be more then enough to inspire him to fabricate a similar mount. Theres even a readymade list of nuts ant bolts needed :)

http://www.afn.pt/uploads/product_files/5623.pdf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts