Suzuki Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
My new to me 67plate szt has just had the uprated rear shocks fitted under warranty, the dealer claimed that Suzuki will no longer fit the complete 'set' I had to as advised by Kernowlad and others to claim unacceptable handling and dangerous bottoming when loaded to get them to even agree to fit just replacement shocks. They also told me the amount of rust on the axle beam springs and backplates etc was quite normal on a car not 3 until oct. I'm not impressed. However I cant complain about the 66.6mpg it is showing. Here is a tip. If you zero the trip on trip B, it dosnt zero the mpg each time. Only if you zero on trip A. Cheers Colin

·
Read Only
329 Posts
I suspect that the reset function you describe is a glitch rather than an intended function. Reset of average mpg at any time is by pushing in the info button for a couple of seconds. You can also choose in the menu for the average mpg display just to continue until manually reset or to automatically reset each time the car is fuelled.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I do wish people would check what they're saying before they say it! (this is in relation to Gjnorthall's response not Colin Shurvell's helpful hint).

The trips operate independently. You can zero Trip B without zeroing Trip A. It's all set out in the handbook.

If you've enabled it in settings the Average Fuel readout also reset with a Trip A reset - but of course not with a Trip B reset because they operate independently.

You can thus readily measure a particular journey - say to claim on expenses - without affecting the tank-to-tank Average.

·
Read Only
329 Posts
I stand corrected - "reset with trip A" is selectable in the menu! I really must take heed of Gloucester's rant and check what I'm saying before I say it in future! - suppose we can't all be perfect though!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Regarding the wider tyre question, I biffed the OEM low rolling resistance tyres (Ecopias by memory) when I bought my mild hybrid Ignis second hand with 40k on the clock and fitted a set of 185/55x16 Linglong Crosswind. The car handles, rides and brakes significantly better on the Linglongs and gives less tyre noise. There may be a very slight increase in fuel consumption on the wider tyres, I only got to use a couple of tanks full of petrol before changing the tyres so I can't be sure. I still average better than 60mpg which is roughly what I got before changing tyres so if there is a loss of fuel mileage it is insignificant. The 175s fit OK on the standard alloy rims. There's plenty of sidewall bulge which is handy in preventing rim damage on kerbs, and at 38psi tyre squirm is not really noticeable. I wouldn't go any wider on standard rims and suspect that clearance would be an issue with wider tyres As an aside, I don't know if you get Linglongs over in Blighty but once past the name and preconceptions they are actually a pretty good tyre which I've used on a few cars now with very good results. Noise, steering precision and wet grip are the factors which make me like or dislike tyres and the Linglongs make me happy on these three counts. The type I prefer is known as the Greenmax which is a higher silica compound & thus claimed to be low rolling resistance but I've not been able to source these in recent years, using instead their Crosswind type, still good tyres.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Quick update- as winter is approaching I’ve now fitted Vredestein Quatrac 5 all season tyres 185/55/16. This is a different tyre size from the standard 175/60/16. I will let you guys know what I think of them in
the next few weeks once I’ve put some miles on them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has fitting wider tyres made any difference to the ride.
I bought a new Ignis SZ5 Allgrip in 2018. The car has been back to the dealer many times as the car shudders when going over some road surfaces. They checked the play on the steering column and added some grease to take up the play. Of course this made no difference so in the end they replaced the steering column. They have also confirmed that the car has the latest suspension upgrade. I do not wish to spend out about £400 on larger tyres if there is no difference in the ride. I think the main problem is the low weight of the car.
I have found that the ride is alot better comfort wise when it's fully loaded I have been using it for Amazon deliverys so had the car fully loaded only issue is the engine requires a little more poke

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Sensible size upgrade and an excellent tyre

Thanks, I did a lot of research before hand (tyre reviews YouTube channel was very helpful) and decided they were the best tyre for the south of England which is mainly dry and wet. But if we do get any snow they won’t be climbing any mountains but will get me home possibly aided by the Allgrip system. Size wise you aren’t spoilt for choice with the standard size and finding a suitable all season tyre was proving difficult, so I decided to up the size slightly which enabled me to get the Quatrac 5 and I also wanted to see if I could help stabilise the car a bit more at motorway speed so I’m hoping the minor increase in width and decrease in profile will offer more stability? Time will tell.

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Id take the added stability over the slightly harder ride on those tyres. 55 is starting to get reasonably low in profile.
Let us know what you think of them.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts