Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Ignis which has 175/60/16 tyres as standard.

Has anybody fitted larger wheels onto their Ignis or fitted wider tyres to the standard wheel e.g. 185/60/16?

Thinking it might help the handling and stability without going to the expense of new suspension.

·
Read Only
329 Posts
If you were keeping the standard wheels - 185 is the maximum recommended width although I think someone on this forum has gone even wider. To keep the rolling radius the same, the wider tyre should be 186 55 16 - this is a far more common tyre than 175 60 16 and a lot more choice of tyres. You would need to inform your insurance that you'd changed tyre size.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Up until Covid I was toying with wider and taller tyres. The speedo under reads a bit so you can go to a bigger radius and there is clearance as far as my measurements lead me to believe. I think the Ignis needs more substantial tyres personally. I have written a fair bit about this on here somewhere.

·
Read Only
329 Posts
This is a handy tool for comparing different tyre sizes on the same rim and the speedo error for different sizes
Remember that some sizes are non-existant, oddball or expensive so worth checking out against a tyre sales website such as Oponeo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has fitting wider tyres made any difference to the ride.
I bought a new Ignis SZ5 Allgrip in 2018. The car has been back to the dealer many times as the car shudders when going over some road surfaces. They checked the play on the steering column and added some grease to take up the play. Of course this made no difference so in the end they replaced the steering column. They have also confirmed that the car has the latest suspension upgrade. I do not wish to spend out about £400 on larger tyres if there is no difference in the ride. I think the main problem is the low weight of the car.

·
Read Only
329 Posts
What do you mean by ”shudders” - is it that poor road surfaces, potholes etc are felt through the steering wheel. How many miles has the car covered, what tyres are fitted and what tyre pressures are you using? Was it the steering rack or the column that was replaced. What’s the view of the dealer? - do they feel that your car is significantly worse than other Ignis cars and have they sought advice from Suzuki technical dept?

Without getting to a root cause, there would be little confidence that a wider tyre would enhance the ride.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would be interested in any ways to make the Ignis a more comfortable car over speedbumps etc. Currently waiting for this pandemic to pass before getting the suspension done under warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What do you mean by ”shudders” - is it that poor road surfaces, potholes etc are felt through the steering wheel. How many miles has the car covered, what tyres are fitted and what tyre pressures are you using? Was it the steering rack or the column that was replaced. What’s the view of the dealer? - do they feel that your car is significantly worse than other Ignis cars and have they sought advice from Suzuki technical dept?

Without getting to a root cause, there would be little confidence that a wider tyre would enhance the ride.
The car has only done 6000 miles. It is the poor road surfaces that are felt through the steering wheel, and you can see the steering wheel moving as the car goes over the bumps, but at times if feels as if the suspension is not coping and is bottoming out. Tyres are Bridgestone as factory fitted and tyre pressure is as stated in the handbook. It was the steering column that was replaced (after the dealer consulting with Suzuki technical department) due to excessive movement in the column. It does not help with the fact that the Suzuki dealer that I purchased the car from closed down 2 months after I purchased the car so I am using other main dealers. I have tried 2 dealers and have asked them if I can have the loan of another Ignis to see if the ride is the same, but both of them come back with the answer that they do not have an Ignis that I can use. Both dealers have taken the car for a test drive and cannot find any problems. On one of the occasions the car was in the garage I had the loan of a base model Kia and over the same road surfaces the car performed without any problems. It is mentioned that the Ignis is a very light car and I believe this is part of the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would be interested in any ways to make the Ignis a more comfortable car over speedbumps etc. Currently waiting for this pandemic to pass before getting the suspension done under warranty.
You mention you are getting the suspension done under warranty.
What are you having done. If the car is still under warranty the car must be after 2018 so I imagine it already has the so called upgraded suspension.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You mention you are getting the suspension done under warranty.
What are you having done. If the car is still under warranty the car must be after 2018 so I imagine it already has the so called upgraded suspension.
I bought a 67 plate earlier this year from a suzuki dealership which came with a 12 month warranty

·
Read Only
329 Posts
The car has only done 6000 miles. It is the poor road surfaces that are felt through the steering wheel, and you can see the steering wheel moving as the car goes over the bumps, but at times if feels as if the suspension is not coping and is bottoming out. Tyres are Bridgestone as factory fitted and tyre pressure is as stated in the handbook. It was the steering column that was replaced (after the dealer consulting with Suzuki technical department) due to excessive movement in the column. It does not help with the fact that the Suzuki dealer that I purchased the car from closed down 2 months after I purchased the car so I am using other main dealers. I have tried 2 dealers and have asked them if I can have the loan of another Ignis to see if the ride is the same, but both of them come back with the answer that they do not have an Ignis that I can use. Both dealers have taken the car for a test drive and cannot find any problems. On one of the occasions the car was in the garage I had the loan of a base model Kia and over the same road surfaces the car performed without any problems. It is mentioned that the Ignis is a very light car and I believe this is part of the problem.
Dealers often claim no problem or “they’re all like that” so you really do need to test drive another Ignis for comparison. It’s a bit difficult at the moment, but you could go along to test drive an used Ignis. Test drives are currently unaccompanied so would give you the opportunity to test the car over problematic road surfaces. The Ignis is light and the narrow tyres do tend to tramline on rough roads so movement is transmitted through the steering wheel. The Bridgestone Ecopia tyres you have stiff sidewalls for fuel economy and you may find that an alternative tyre brand improves the ride. With a 5 inch wheel width, you’re limited in terms of wider tyres so you may find that changing to say a 185 tyre doesn’t really improve the ride.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dealers often claim no problem or “they’re all like that” so you really do need to test drive another Ignis for comparison. It’s a bit difficult at the moment, but you could go along to test drive an used Ignis. Test drives are currently unaccompanied so would give you the opportunity to test the car over problematic road surfaces. The Ignis is light and the narrow tyres do tend to tramline on rough roads so movement is transmitted through the steering wheel. The Bridgestone Ecopia tyres you have stiff sidewalls for fuel economy and you may find that an alternative tyre brand improves the ride. With a 5 inch wheel width, you’re limited in terms of wider tyres so you may find that changing to say a 185 tyre doesn’t really improve the ride.
Thank you for your reply.
As they seam to be a bit sparse at dealers, do you think it would make any difference if it wasn’t an Allgrip that I test drive.

·
Read Only
329 Posts
Thank you for your reply.
As they seam to be a bit sparse at dealers, do you think it would make any difference if it wasn’t an Allgrip that I test drive.
The Allgrip has the same steering system, shock absorbers, wheels and tyres as other models so given the difficulty in finding an Allgrip - another Ignis model should give you a reasonable comparison. However you should avoid testing an SZ3 model - this has smaller wheels and tyres than the other models. Similarly stick to cars from mid 2018 onwards to ensure that they're equipped with the latest suspension. Even though the dealer has checked - it may be worth a quick confirmation that your car does infact have the latest suspension. The diameter of the rear shock absorbers should be about 48mm - the earlier shock absorbers were substantially smaller in diameter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have checked the size of the rear suspension and it does measure 48mm. I have also checked my local dealer and they do have a 2019 SZT so my next idea is to go and see them and test drive the car.

·
Read Only
329 Posts
I have checked the size of the rear suspension and it does measure 48mm. I have also checked my local dealer and they do have a 2019 SZT so my next idea is to go and see them and test drive the car.
Excellent. With respect to tyre pressures - there are two settings given on the drivers door pillar - just checking that you aren't using the full load setting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Finally got to drive another Ignis (19 plate SZ-T). It was such a different drive. The suspension was firmer and no play from the steering wheel. When I reported this to the dealer they suggested having my car in to do a comparison. Much to my surprise they agreed with me that there is a problem and they contacted Suzuki asking for permission to change the shock absorbers. As with other comments on the Suzuki forum Suzuki came back saying as there is no signs of leakage or damage they are not prepared to change the shock absorbers under warrantee and if my local dealer feels they need changing they will have to pay for them.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Suzuki UK is terrible. It must be incredibly frustrating trying to sell the cars.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts