Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, and thanks in advance for your experience and wisdom. Has anyone tried a wider tire with no lift? I'm eyeballing a set of 255 60 15 radials and I don't have a lift. Would rather not put them on and figure out I wasted 600 bones... otherwise known as... the hard way. Thanks again.

1993 Tennessee 4x4 EFI ahhyea.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
fyi... the diameter of the 255 is .1" than a 215 70 15 and .7" smaller than a 215 75 15. Just curious of width restrictions. Also 15x8 rims with an offset. Thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
255/60R15 tires calculate out to 27x10", within a few tenths -- no tires are ever exact. 27's should fit the diameter just fine. My Samurai ran 215/75's (27.7") on a stocker for years.

The 255mm = 10.1" section width is more problematical. My 9.5" wide tires easily fit my 7" rims (with 4" backspacing) without rubbing. You'll need 7" or 8" rims to fit the 255 tires, depending on what your tire manufacturer specifies for them. 8" rims are commonly available with reduced backspacing (2.5" to 2.75") to accommodate 10.5" wide tires. These wider tires then project past the Samurai fender flares, causing non-compliance with the vehicle code in my state (CA) and perhaps others as well.

This is not a common size, and I cannot predict how close it's gonna be. It will depend mostly on your wheels and backspacing. To be sure of not rubbing, 8" rims with reduced backspacing would surely fit, but stick out past the fender flares. 7" rims with 3.75" backspacing (-6mm offset) would probably fit, since the tire diameter is only 27", but it's gonna be close. Still, even though it's close, that would be my choice, if 7" rims are within the proper range for your 255mm wide tires.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for sharing your expertise Merlin93! I'm using 15x8's with 4" backspacing and -13mm offset, so sounds like it shouldn't be an issue. You've made my day sir!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dude at pep boys didn't even look at it and assumed it wouldn't fit. 225 70 15 he suggested. I'm actually leaning toward a nexen ht 225 70 15 they have a good deal on at wally world. I would think my 15x8's would be ideal for the oçcasion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts