Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for starters it is cheaper than most radios.

32gb nexus 7.

Almost drops right in to the stock hole. Two small clips on the oem bezel have to be filed off. Two small holes have to be drilled to change the mounting screws so they fit between the charging and headphone port.

I have to get some abs or asphault sealer to fill the quarter inch gap on each side.

Other than that, literally takes under five minutes to mount it up.

Running tasker app, an on screen volume control, an EQ app, and the soundstream 550x4 amp.

Soon as I get my phone worked out, Ill be able to tether the app for gps and pandora.

Total cost for everything, under 300$.

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
Ehh - cheaper than most radios?? Nah!!

The last two radios I bought were both well under $100 - AM/FM/CD/WMA/MP3 with aux jack, USB, ipod support, Sirius ready & Pandora via the ipod (or iphone - not sure) - I think they were 4x50W, pre amp & sub woofer outputs - and the second one let's me set the display to all sorts of colors - I can flawlessly match the existing dash lights or have a private disco.

But to answer your question - I would put a tablet in a 20 year old Zuke for ...

1 - music
2 - navigation
3 - custom dash displays & trip computer (fed via Bluetooth from the OBD port)

Why haven't I done it yet - I don't spend enough time behind the wheel to make it worth my while - when I'm home (Guyana) I'm rarely behind the wheel for more than 20~30 minutes, but, less than a week ago, I was heading south down the I75 from Tampa, and I said to the wife - if I lived here, and regularly spent this much time on the road (we average around 1000miles/week when in Florida) I'd mount a tablet in the dash and I would ....

I wanna be able to see all my stats on a single screen, at a single glance - instantaneous fuel consumption, average fuel consumption, miles to empty, distance travelled, time elapsed - I don't wanna have to take my hands off the wheel & reach through the wheel to push buttons (Nissan Rogue), or down almost under the dash (Chevy Captiva)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come now, I meant nav systems.

Never thought to ask you, do you speak the creole dialect? If I remember right, it is english based rather than the french.

I speak a little of the acadian dialect, quite similar to the caribbean creole in many ways.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
I see from your avatar that you have the 4 door tin top. I would question putting in anything of value into the ragtop, frankly, as it's ridiculously easy to get into the car. Unless it was something that I could lock up, remove or hide, I wouldn't put it into the ragtop, sadly.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I have double-DIN units in my main vehicles and wouldn't want to be without them now. The unit in the Jimny is an Android unit with built-in everything including sat-nav, I can also run Memory-Map software for off-road use.

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
Come now, I meant nav systems.

Never thought to ask you, do you speak the creole dialect? If I remember right, it is english based rather than the french.

I speak a little of the acadian dialect, quite similar to the caribbean creole in many ways.
Cheaper than most nav systems - DEFINITELY - those things are ridiculously expensive. I can get a netbook and run Windows, plus GPS for less.

The creole dialect - to my mind, it's not as much a dialect, as what I would describe as "broken English" or bad/poor grammer - coupled perhaps with an accent, and a very rapid delivery - in fact - several years back, on a visit to one of the companies I do business with in Miami, we were having an informal chat, and I was asked where was I from, I replied Guyana, and got "no - where are you from originally?" - to which the reply was again, Guyana.

The person I was speaking to had met several Guyanese before, none of whom looked like me (I have Asian parentage, and have been mistaken for Phillipino in both Florida & NewYork), or spoke like me, and in his mind, to use his words, Guyanese had "a very deep accent" - I was completely lost - my wife was with me, and she speaks fluent "creolese", so she replied to him - and he recognized it.

To those not familiar with it, it can sound like a foreign language - no - I don't speak it - but I do understand it, and most of the creole speakers here, will understand English, so I rarely have difficulty communicating.

To give you an example - meh-nah-gat - delivered with machine gun rapidity translates to me no got or I don't have - and ah-cuda-duda-tuh - becomes I could have done that too (or also).

I see you're from Louisiana - 30+ years back I was studying in Ohio, and one of my classmates was from Louisiana - he could understand me, but for me to understand him, I needed a translator, one of the other guys (out of Boston if my memory is correct) would repeat him, so I could respond - back then I was considered the guy with the English accent, so that would give you an idea of what I sound like.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, I believe I understand now. That creolese sounds quite close to the english spoken in coastal LA and the darker or Irish areas of New Orleans. The delivery is a rapid staccato, unlike the rest of the South. Any unnecessary syllables are omitted. It can be a bit trying to understand at times, especially for an outsider.

Day to day, that's more often than not the accent I use. In formal settings, specifically a classroom, it disappears entirely.

Alas, the more reading and speaking I do in acadian french, the more difficult it is to stop it from bleeding over into my english pronunciations...something the wife is constantly harassing me about.

Bex, the theft sparked the tablet install. Had I realised the separate warranty I had would cover a new faceplate, I never would have done it, but by the time I found out, all of the wiring and amp was ordered.

·
Registered
130 Posts
How do you turn it on or off? It wouldn't turn on when you start your car and you don't have access to the power button?

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
I am running a small foot print XP PC behind the back seat, driving a touch screen monitor that sits in front of passenger, tilted towards me the driver.

Its running the free RideRunner software with the DFX interface. Both are free to download from MP3CAR website.

I use RideRunner for Music, Movies, Gas prices, Car Maint Records, secondary GPS, large MPH feed from GPS, Altitude feed from GPS, Note taking, Calculator, etc. RideRunner has so many options I know I am not even using them all. There is even an option for voice control but I have not played with it.

Outside of RiderRunner I use to display Rhinoman's OBD1 Rhinoview. (live data from the ECU)

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
How do you turn it on or off? It wouldn't turn on when you start your car and you don't have access to the power button?
There's an app for that - yeah - really - (I don't remember what it's called though) - it senses power on the docking connector and brings the tablet out of hibernation, and reverses the process when it loses power - however - if you allow the tablet's internal battery to run down, I think you need to get to the power button for that.

A carefully positioned pinhole in the fascia would allow a paperclip to be inserted and then tilted to depress the power button - and still be small enough to go unnoticed.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The app is called Tasker. And it can do pretty much anything you set it up to do.

When mine senses power, it turns the screen on, all connections, sets volume to 15%, says hello, and pulls up gps status for current speed and what not.

When it loses power, it kills all connections and apps, and runs the tablet on one core. Also says goodbye and blanks the screen after 15 seconds. Testing standby time now in this poor man's deep sleep mode.

As for accessing the power button, hopefully I dont have to, if I do, it is technically reqchable through the AC controls.

Always wanted to do a car PC, never did. Wonder if rhinoman could interface with a tablet....

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Read the link, Idk if it matters, but the nexus can handle USB hosting.

Many of those who install tablets in cars run a small cable to a usb hub, then run dual power cables in, then run a DAC to clean up the audio.

Unfortunately with the death of the Ubuntu project on the nexus line, Linux has taken a backseat to custom roms.

Im wondering if the guys over on xdadevelopers have done anything similar? They always tinker.

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
I don't think it matters - if I remember correctly Rhinoman opted for a Bluetooth approach because that's more common and I believe that allows him to use a single API across different hardware brands.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I'm working on a port that uses the FTDI driver and a wired interface, Bluetooth emulates a serial port which isn't ideal for what I want to do with the new software, also the BT in most double-DIN units only support phone functions. Like everything else development has been held up by a lot of OEM ECU design.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey man, i know this post is dead, but is the only one i found on the topic. Could you explain with more detail how you mounted the tablet? Beside what Amplifer are you using for the speakers? Have you got any problem with the tablet overheating?

I'm planning on doing the same thing, it looks cool as hell.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts