Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 DDIS (diesel) Swift recently got a puncture and needed the left rear wheel replaced with the spare.

The tyre was ruined and was not able to be repaired. A new tyre was fitted and balanced and the wheel was put back on the vehicle and the spare put back in its compartment.

Pretty standard way to fix a flat you would think.

The problem is that now both the dash warning lights for the ABS (anti-lock braking system) and the electronic stability control are being displayed.

My question is; how can I get the two dash warning lights to turn off?

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
There is a thread on here somewhere about this and how to reset the abs. I'm guessing you had the dreaded space saver on it? It involves fitting the space saver, driving disabling the esp with a scan tool then fitting original wheel and driving again. Ill see if I can find the thread with the detailed instructions

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess it was a space saver? The spare had never been out of the box before. Any assistance gratefully accepted.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Space saver is a skinny get you home tyre, usually baby poop brown or yellow in colour.

The procedure others have used is as follows (you will need a scan tool capable of disabling he ESP function in the ABS unit)

Refit the spare back to the faulty corner.
Drive until the light goes out.
Refit original wheel back on but before driving you have to deactivate esp with a scan tool. Drive for 10 mins above 40km/h (it really doesnt even take that long).
Once the car is stopped and restarted esp function is automatically enabled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. Now I’m even more confused. Can someone please explain what a ‘scan tool’ is that disables the ESP in the ABS how it works and where do I get one?

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
its a specific OBD2 scan tool that has the ability to bleed brakes, and do other bi directional control items with the ABS unit. I have a basic foxwell NT630 pro that works on my 2008 swift

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the useful suggestions but I think I have solved the problem.
I turned on the headlights and disconnected the battery for some time. Then I turned off the headlights and reconnected the battery and started the car. The ABS and EDP error lights were still on.
However, after a drive of about a kilometre or two both lights have now gone out, leading me to suspect the system has successfully reset itself.
Of course all the historical operating data has gone too. But that’s a small price to pay for not seeing those system error lights.
Of course I could be wrong.
Time will tell.
:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts