Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was young and had very little money, I had an old VW Beetle with wide tires, wild paint, and open headers on it, so I have a little idea why someone might want to do a few things to make their car a little different and get it noticed . . . but why a Forenza? I have one and it's pretty good for what it is, a nice looking econobox. It doesn't have huge amounts of power and the handling is so-so. By the time I would spend the money on performance tires and wheels, suspension upgrades, better exhaust, and such, I could have bought a car that was designed for performance, and wouldn't suffer from the ills of being modified.. My second car is a twelve year old Nissan Maxima with a lot of miles on it, worth about $1,500. Even if I spent a few thousand bucks modifying my Forenza, the old Maxima would probably still outperform it in almost every way.

I'm not being critical, just curious. What are your reasons for wanting to modify a Forenza/Lacetti/Optra instead of buying a performance-built car in the first place?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Because some of us had a little boo boo and was not saving for a new car at the time so the only thing in the budget was something a bit smaller. Personally I was saving up for the new Mustang GT because I love the look and can get a good deal on pricing but I was aiming at the end of the year, not the middle of January.

So now I have a Suzuki. Not the big street performer but I will not be racing it anyway, just want a bit more for everyday driving.

Plus there is nothing like watching the look on some higher end car as you blow him away from the red light. On top of that it's kind of neat to have a sleeper. Looks like a slow whatever but has the heart of a dragon under the hood.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I personally am looking for the upgrades for a car that will make my car perform better for minimal money.

I can't justify spending a whole lot of money on upgrades but if I can find a superchip or a Cold Air intake that will add a few horses somewhere down the road, I'll do it. Like when my exhaust wears out, I'll add a cat-back exhast instaed of replacing it factory.

Anyting to make my existing car faster than stock or making it more efficient while not just wasting my money in stock maintenance.

Let's face it. if your gonna spend the money in maintaining your car anyways, why not just add a few things to make it better??
like gettin new rims while you replace your tires.

Most of the modders I know of are in the point fo their lives where they are not in the position to spend the extra money to get the better car, but they can get the lesser car and have the intelligence to know how to modify it over time to create something better for their money over the long run.

IMO :)

Originally posted by Rev320@Mar 11 2005, 04:06 PM
When I was young and had very little money, I had an old VW Beetle with wide tires, wild paint, and open headers on it, so I have a little idea why someone might want to do a few things to make their car a little different and get it noticed . . . but why a Forenza? I have one and it's pretty good for what it is, a nice looking econobox. It doesn't have huge amounts of power and the handling is so-so. By the time I would spend the money on performance tires and wheels, suspension upgrades, better exhaust, and such, I could have bought a car that was designed for performance, and wouldn't suffer from the ills of being modified.. My second car is a twelve year old Nissan Maxima with a lot of miles on it, worth about $1,500. Even if I spent a few thousand bucks modifying my Forenza, the old Maxima would probably still outperform it in almost every way.

I'm not being critical, just curious. What are your reasons for wanting to modify a Forenza/Lacetti/Optra instead of buying a performance-built car in the first place?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I can make my forenza faster than most car probably for less money too.. it wont be as good of a daily driver as some people like (low profile tires and what not, which i actually like the feeling of it.. you seam to have more control) but it still can kick some ass.

I race autocross and the best cars there are fixed up hondas(or other cheap cars) and corvettes. I go an autocross event and its full of all the way from stock hondas to ones that will beat most cars out there and mazda miatas.. there isnt a single forenza there which i like alot

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well first off you don't have to pay the extremely high insurance premiums like the sport cars. I live in S. Florida and I had a '94 Celica ST 1.8 and I paid $1850 a year vs. $1200 a year for the Forenza. It doesn't really matter what make or model you modify, it's all about being yourself and making the car an extension of yourself. We're not looking to out race everyone just want to be a little different. Also it doesn't matter which car you modify you will always run into someone with a faster car. (deeper pockets) :(

Oh it's also human nature to try to modify things.
ie: computers,cars,motorcycles,boats,homes,etc.

ps: I'm also tired of all the Honda's around my area. Nice looking but everyone has one. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I work as a mechanical engineer and modify machines for a living. Modding equipment for its own sake has lost much of its appeal for me over the last 25 years. I know that I can do it very well when I have to. When it comes to my private life, I guess I've reached the point that I'd rather NOT be noticed, and I prefer a car that's quiet, safe, and reliable to one that's sleek, fast, and loud. Now, where'd I put my walker? . . . .Just owning a Suzuki is different enough around these parts.

But . . . if I was going to make a neat street machine, I'd get a Mini, an old European convertible, a turbo Omni GLH, or something odd that started out pretty cool and good handling. . .and most would not have a warranty that I would be risking. All of these could be had for not a huge price. Even my old Maxima would be much further along to begin with. The question remains, why a Daewoo and not something equally different and easier to find parts for?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Still to be different. Im 17 i can afford anything else.. but if i could id still stick with this car becuase its different. I dont like being all the same. Plus without all the parts available that gives me a chance to learn how things work more and how to build them myself.

Oh and If i put 10grand into my car it could be in everyway better than something that costs 25k or even 30k.

Also im also looking for safty.. which is one reason im getting drilled rotors with the carbon firbre pads.. even if i didnt race id still want them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My dad and his friends all have gone after the older american/european even japanese. They can locate parts if you get the popular models that they offer parts for, but if that turns out to be a rare or unpopular model good luck. Their are plenty of parts for the Suzuki's but they haven't made it to the states yet. Think about it Suzuki is part of GM. Parts will be on hold so GM can sell their new vehicle the Cobalt. Corner the market is all it's about. So you have to wait on some parts oh well everybody else had to ie: Honda,Toyota, Nissan and Mazda owners. I also know plenty of guys locally that have taken a $30,000 Subaru, Mitsubishi, VW R32/GTI and have dump another $10,000 - $15,000 into them and their cars are faster and handle awesomely but unless your on the race track it doesn't matter you can't use all that hp on the daily traffic runs to work. So if you can make your vehicle a little faster/better handling for everyday driving at a 1/3 of the cost why not? It's all in fun. Another thing why ask why? everyone has their reasoning for the decision no matter how insane some times or incorrect they seem to be. All I know is when the time comes that we can afford the more expensive vehicle we'll remember that first little Suzuki we modified or owned. :57:

·
Registered
501 Posts
i have to agree. with kinky that is. the forenza has loads of pontential. i mean. when i had 1 with the enigne competly stock it beat 99-03 fords trucks with like 300 hp off the line. by like 7 cars! the reason u waan modily the forenza is because its a good platform for racing. Not yet Big enough or heavy enough yet. I sugest if u do race a forenza get a airdam and a rear wing. because at speeds at 100+ the forenza becomes very light. and we all know this. seat of ur pants feeling. think a forenza does 0-60 on 8.7. if u put 10k into it u can have a nice int/ext and possible a low 4-5 car. if u get turbo. that is. But hey thats my opion.

Im gona auctally be selling my forenza /w 8 swap on ebay. Im looking for a 93-98 toyota supra single or twin turbo.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Well, I know I'm new to the site but the reason for moding any car is for the basic need to "standout" form the crowd so to speak. And that other is the easiest...Many people don't have the money or credit the buy a car already with some power or some just like the challage of trying to make a "Hot" street machine out of an otherwise "waste of money" car in some people minds.?:) Me I like a challage. Well, that s my thought on the subject of "Why Mod a Forenza" But if any one has any info. on Upgrade parts please let me know...Thanxs

latinodragon909
(streetracer)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts