Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 1990 Sierra 1.3l Carb and I am getting about 16L/100km or about 14mpg. Can anyone help me as to why it is using so much fuel because it's becoming too expensive to drive with fuel prices increasing ever so much. I had a look around on some of the other threads here and the average I am seeing is 20-25mpg. Apart from the fuel consumption, it seems to run fairly well. Haven't been able to do offroad trips in it since I'm lucky to get 150miles out of a tank.

Hopefully someone can help me
Cheers
Grant

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts
First - where are you located?

Why does it make a difference? Because the carburettors fitted are different.

Second - what modifications have been made to the vehicle? Specifically tires & gearing.

One of the primary causes for increased consumption on the Sierra/Samurai vehicles is the fitting of oversized tires, this effectively changes the gearing so that the engine is running outside of it's powerband, causing it to use more fuel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am from Australia.
The gearing should be stock in it.
And I have 215/80 R15 AT's on it.
I do believe the rest of the car is stock.

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts
I'm not certain what tires a Sierra would have had stock (that's another thing that varies with the market), but a Samurai would have had 205/70R15s which is about a 26", your 215/80R15s are quite a bit taller at 28", that affects your gearing, and will have a negative impact on your fuel consumption.

Since you're in Australia, the guys at AusZookers, would be more familiar with the vehicle and can give you a better idea of what to expect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts