Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i got my samurai, they told me it was a 89 and 1/2 and when i look at the vin, it says 1989 but it has a #5 engine with tfi that was only used after 1990. anybody know why?

·
Registered
201 Posts
i idid think there was an 89 model year at all, either 88 or 90. engine and air vents are the big tell tale signs. the square air vents on the dash are signs of 90+, the 88 and older were round. and the 88 and older had carburated (sp) engines, while 90 and newer had fuel injection

there are probably other things, but those 2 are the biggest and easiest to see

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
There was a 1989 model. I have seen the production numbers.

The 88.5 was a transitional model that introduced the dash, the 5th gear change and the spring ratio change. But it was the only accepted midyear model.

But what Duki_man_3 probably has is an early 90 model. 89 was when it was produced, but it was for the 90 model year.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was told that the 88.5 also had a bastardised carbuerator/computer controlled situation (?). Mine has since been switched to full carb with a lot of extra wires hanging around!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
pilsner, mine is kinda like that but with fi- i did away with the fuel injection and replaced it with a weber carb-i like it perty good but i need a air cleaner for it-i did the cheap thing and just adapted my filter tube to the carb-it worked but i feel like it is robbin some power and yes i have all kinds of wires hangin around now.
thanks guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts