Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's really the only one I can find in my area that is widely stocked. Why do some say it's crap? Is this just something with the SX4 ?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Simple, filter efficiency is on the poor side and they use oil paper end caps for the fitler median instead of metal like most others (Champ e-cores are now using a plastic also OK). These cardboard endcaps are the sealing surface to the anti-drainback valve as well which generally means not so positive at sealing.

You can get better filters for about the same money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For about the same money, filters like WIX, Purolator, and even Napa are better bets in terms of flowrate and filtering ability. These should be stocked at most big name auto-part stores. You can find tons of Fram filter discussion on forums like bobistheoilguy.com.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For about the same money, filters like WIX, Purolator, and even Napa are better bets in terms of flowrate and filtering ability. These should be stocked at most big name auto-part stores. You can find tons of Fram filter discussion on forums like bobistheoilguy.com.
Sorry to interject, but the way you say "even NAPA filters" intimates that they are sub standard.

NAPA filters are made on the same equipment as WIX filters, using the same materials. The only difference is the paint and the label. When you say NAPA filter, you're really saying WIX filter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to interject, but the way you say "even NAPA filters" intimates that they are sub standard.

NAPA filters are made on the same equipment as WIX filters, using the same materials. The only difference is the paint and the label. When you say NAPA filter, you're really saying WIX filter.
No problem, it's just the way I wrote it. However, I figure not everybody is aware of who makes what filter so letting forum members know as many good 'brands' as possible the better it is for shopping purposes.

I also wanted to add that although K&N and Mobil-1 oil filters are good, you can do just as well with less expensive filtration options from those others discussed.

BTW, Pennzoil and STP are also re-branded oil filters that should be avoided for their poor construction similar to Fram.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Used Fram for years. Developed a tap in my GMC truck, and dealer said it was probably the fram filter. He explained how Fram switched to all plastic internals. Oddly enough he didn't even recomend AC filter, but purolater. The Fram oil filter was allowing the filter to bleed down the engine. Changed to a purolater and the problem went away. Google Fram filters. A lot of bad stuff.

·
Registered
388 Posts
It is not plastic internals in a classic Fram. The plastic internals are actually the E-Core series filters from Champ Labs. The Fram actually uses an oil paper (cardboard) end cap which is glued to the filter pleats. The real problem is when they try and seal a bypass valve or anti-drainback valve to this material as it never seems to seal for crap.

Some engines seem to do just fine other have issues.

Known to cause noise in Ford engines too. Heck one motor Ford made was so bad they made a modified version of their FL-400 filter (Purolator built) and had a HEAVY DUTY anti-drainback valve to maintain oil in th block not the pan and called it the FL-2005 (also Purolator built).

In the end Suzuki engines don't seem to mind them much. Our regional trainer actually uses them and had not had any issues however won't use them on some of his families other makes because they have issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts