Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently installed new backup light switch on 87 sammy transmission and bu lamps are staying on in all gears, then when you put it in reverse theback up lights go off. Strange , and I don't know what to do. HELP

·
Registered
616 Posts
Recently installed new backup light switch on 87 sammy transmission and bu lamps are staying on in all gears, then when you put it in reverse theback up lights go off. Strange , and I don't know what to do. HELP
Try this:

with the ignition on, unplug the reverse switch at the firewall. From what you say, it should be easy to tell from the 5th gear switch - the backup lamps will turn off when you unplug it.

Take a piece of wire with stripped ends on it and poke them into the harness plug. If the back up lamps turn on, then you know that the problem is not in the wiring harness but in the switch or it's wiring (or possibly inside the transmission itself - but not bloody likely...)

Remove the offending switch (that'll be fun!) and cycle the switch with an ohmmeter across the connector. If the ohm meter reads zero when the switch plunger is depressed and high resistance when you release the switch plunger, the switch is either effed or it might actually be the 5th switch wired with the reverse switch plug. Either way, take it back and get the right one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is something I have not tried and will, wow this is the damnest thing i have seen ack, and thanks alot...let you know

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey ack you were right on the money. The switch was new and aftermarket , but was not the backup lamp switch for me. They make CONTINUOUS ON, and CONTINUOUS OFF until activated switches. They sent me either 5th gear switch or 4x4 lamp switch...no telling.(aftermarket) which were keeping lights on in regular gears (continuous on switch).Pulled lamp switch from 1988 and BAM! I had bu lamps on when in reverse, and off in regular gears. Just wanted to say thanks for your help.
Try this:

with the ignition on, unplug the reverse switch at the firewall. From what you say, it should be easy to tell from the 5th gear switch - the backup lamps will turn off when you unplug it.

Take a piece of wire with stripped ends on it and poke them into the harness plug. If the back up lamps turn on, then you know that the problem is not in the wiring harness but in the switch or it's wiring (or possibly inside the transmission itself - but not bloody likely...)

Remove the offending switch (that'll be fun!) and cycle the switch with an ohmmeter across the connector. If the ohm meter reads zero when the switch plunger is depressed and high resistance when you release the switch plunger, the switch is either effed or it might actually be the 5th switch wired with the reverse switch plug. Either way, take it back and get the right one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts