Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just asking, 'cause I'm seeing general logic things going un-corrected in the threads on here.

My subs were rattling until I insulated my license plate, then they stopped.
Your subs weren't rattling, your license plate was.

I have 2 12" Q-power...they do some damage.
No they don't. I have some. My old school Kenwood 10's beat the living hell out of the 12" Q-power, not to mention what the newer stuff is capable of. They're a joke.

I guess, consider this fair warning, I will be correcting ignorance.

I'm not gonna sit here and list "credentials", just say that I know my way around sound. Yes, I said that correctly.

Now, who knows what parallel and series wiring is?

Advantages/Disadvantages of a CAP?

Advantages/Disadvantages of a second battery?

Reasons to NOT go with Optima Yellow Top?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just asking, 'cause I'm seeing general logic things going un-corrected in the threads on here.

Your subs weren't rattling, your license plate was.

No they don't. I have some. My old school Kenwood 10's beat the living hell out of the 12" Q-power, not to mention what the newer stuff is capable of. They're a joke.

I guess, consider this fair warning, I will be correcting ignorance.

I'm not gonna sit here and list "credentials", just say that I know my way around sound. Yes, I said that correctly.

Now, who knows what parallel and series wiring is?

Advantages/Disadvantages of a CAP?

Advantages/Disadvantages of a second battery?

Reasons to NOT go with Optima Yellow Top?

I'm a little advanced in that area...Parrallel wiring lessens the load on the amp. It makes a 4 ohm 8 ohms...series wiring increases load by making 4 ohms 2. The advantages of a cap are that it does provide some relief for yoru alternator, but only for a short while...i like second batteries though, and the main reason not to go with a yellow top is that you can get something else cheaper, but i still like them...

and I have one Kicker CVX, 15"...I dare anybody to try me...lol..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm a little advanced in that area...Parrallel wiring lessens the load on the amp. It makes a 4 ohm 8 ohms...series wiring increases load by making 4 ohms 2. The advantages of a cap are that it does provide some relief for yoru alternator, but only for a short while...i like second batteries though, and the main reason not to go with a yellow top is that you can get something else cheaper, but i still like them...

You got the right idea, on the wiring, but backwards.

8 ohm is greater than 4 ohm. Parallel does lessen the load on the amp. Parallel'ing two 4ohms gives you 2ohm. Series is the opposite changes 4 to 8ohm.

The cap actually increases load on the alternator. The cap provides a voltage discharge faster than a battery is capable of, for those transient spikes in the bass (hard kick drum). The bad part, though, is that it charges as fast as it discharges, so it sucks up all that juice from the charging system (alternator and battery) leaving the rest of your car to survive on what's left. This IS better than no cap, because in a no cap instance, the amp is trying to pull that sudden voltage from the battery (that's where it's connected) which can't supply it as fast as needed, so it pulls the 12v from the battery and the other 2.4+- @ 40-60A from the alternator. Then, when the amp is done, the alternator has to go back and start charging the battery again, running the car, and still provide the amp with rms power.

Kinda wicked, eh?

Re: Yellow Top
When it comes to electronics, you get what you pay for. Optima's cost what they do for a reason. People say Yellow Tops because they're deep cycle, made for stereo abuse. No their not, their just another product in Optima's line. Did you know that the Yellow Top will only last about 10-15 minutes longer than the Red Top? The Red Top has more cranking amps, (stronger discharge) both cold and warm. The Blue Top (marine) has even more and lasts just as long as the Yellow Top, but is slightly larger so it doesn't usually fit. Put that in your pipe and smoke it for a bit.

Thanks for replying though. At least someone's puttin' their thoughts on the line.

·
Registered
418 Posts

I Have A Kicker CVX 15 being pushed by a kicker zx1000.1

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's your single 15 do, either of you?

I'll get pics of the meter on July 6th, of what my two 10's do.

I seriously hope your 15's are doing better, but doubt it.

(all in fun guys)

·
Registered
418 Posts
in theory two 10inch would play louder than a single 15 because its moving more air. But For me 10''s are lacking in the low's for m. I Havent Meter mines yet..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One 15 moves more air than two 10's. Two typical 10's have a combined surface area of about 157 sq in, where a typical 15 has a surface area of about 177sq in. Now, that's not factoring in throw for a volume calculation, but the 15 still out-does the 10's.

Now, to argue your contradictory remark; if two 10's did have more surface area than one 15, then they would play lower as they're moving more air (hypothetically). But seeing as they don't play lower, that's a dead give-away they don't move as much air. BUT, put them in the correct box, and they can play as low, until you put the 15 in the same style box. Make sense?

·
Registered
418 Posts
yeh the sub enclosure makes up about 80Percent of the sound, but it depends on the car. Most Comp you will see alotta suv's and hatches.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. The shape of the SUVs and hatchs helps the wavefront form better before it reaches the mic. It also helps the rear wave, or port wave (whichever, depending on your box), blend completely with the front wave, making a more solid single wave; even if the two aren't completely in sync.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I haven't checked to see if I'm hitting any numbers, but I do tend to set off multiple car alarms. My gf can't breathe when my volume is around 15...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why sealed? You can get soo much more out of a simple ported, or better yet a bvr. More range, more volume, more punch, more definition.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My 15" CVX is in ported box that fills up my reno pushed by 06zx1000.1

·
Registered
327 Posts
You got the right idea, on the wiring, but backwards.

8 ohm is greater than 4 ohm. Parallel does lessen the load on the amp. Parallel'ing two 4ohms gives you 2ohm. Series is the opposite changes 4 to 8ohm.

The cap actually increases load on the alternator. The cap provides a voltage discharge faster than a battery is capable of, for those transient spikes in the bass (hard kick drum). The bad part, though, is that it charges as fast as it discharges, so it sucks up all that juice from the charging system (alternator and battery) leaving the rest of your car to survive on what's left. This IS better than no cap, because in a no cap instance, the amp is trying to pull that sudden voltage from the battery (that's where it's connected) which can't supply it as fast as needed, so it pulls the 12v from the battery and the other 2.4+- @ 40-60A from the alternator. Then, when the amp is done, the alternator has to go back and start charging the battery again, running the car, and still provide the amp with rms power.

Kinda wicked, eh?
So when the amp is done the alternator has to go back and start charging the cap again, whats the difference?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The alternator is still supplying the amp power and having to recharge the cap AND supply the vehicle with power.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Now, to argue your contradictory remark; if two 10's did have more surface area than one 15, then they would play lower as they're moving more air (hypothetically). But seeing as they don't play lower, that's a dead give-away they don't move as much air. BUT, put them in the correct box, and they can play as low, until you put the 15 in the same style box. Make sense?
I have to disagree with this statement, let me explain. If you have two paint rollers, a 10 inch and a 15 inch, and you have blue paint, which roller makes the paint more blue?

Neither, but the 15 puts more paint the the wall. Taking a quality lets say a RE Audio SX 10 and RE Audio SX 15, they will play the same freq range but the 15 will do it louder.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have to disagree with this statement, let me explain. If you have two paint rollers, a 10 inch and a 15 inch, and you have blue paint, which roller makes the paint more blue?

Neither, but the 15 puts more paint the the wall. Taking a quality lets say a RE Audio SX 10 and RE Audio SX 15, they will play the same freq range but the 15 will do it louder.
And a 15 can play 15khz and a tweeter can play 5hz, good job.

You know exactly what was meant by the statement.

How about I add a word in there, "perceptively". In the correct box, two 10's can play PERCEPTIVELY lower than a single 15, until you put the 15 in the same style box designed for it.

Better?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts