Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found some cooler thermostats that run at 82 degrees. I think our stock thermostats run at 92 degrees but I'm unsure of this. Either way it'll be a good performance mod. Price should be $100 or less shipped but I can't promise anything yet. I just need to know how many people are intrested so I can give an accurate qoute.

I can also get a upgraded oil pump from the Z20let engine if anyones intrested. Dont know price but for those running turbos it's not a bad idea. If theres intrest I can get a qoute.

Cheers,
Danny

·
Registered
265 Posts
uhh ya... im pretty dumb.. would u care to explain what the cooler thermostats do? thnx

·
Registered
265 Posts
keep something cooler... but what

·
Registered
265 Posts
... ic. how much will it help?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
zerocool said:
... ic. how much will it help?
As far as hp goes? I haven't an idea. When I do it i'll let you know how noticable it is. Probably won't be though.

Take your car out when its somewhat heated up but not completly compared to when it is completly heated up, thats the difference.

·
Super Moderator
4,421 Posts
it will not make any difference. Thats my point.. The small temp difference will not matter at all to the engine. Save your $$

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
XL7Limited said:
it will not make any difference. Thats my point.. The small temp difference will not matter at all to the engine. Save your $$
Thats really not true. This mods gonna make a huge difference for my engine but my engines a bit more modded and gets a hell of allot more beating.

I noticed a huge difference with my oil cooler and when I went from 50% to only 18% coolant w/ watter wetter I noticed a difference. After being out on the track for a couple laps at speed I noticed the performance of the engine started to suffer. Now it stays 100% throughout the whole session.

Danny

·
Registered
165 Posts
Danny, the only difference that this would make is if you had an overheating problem. It would allow the water to begin circulating earlier and allow more time for the coolant temperature to begin dropping to attempt to keep the car from overheating. This could make a difference for you if our cooling system is not up to par for turbocharging. I would still reccomend you to get this mod for just that reason. However, I think that you should just upgrade the whole system instead of just this quick fix. get a good two or three core BRASS radiator, good hoses, and good fans and I think that you will be fine. The reason I say brass and not aluminum is that the cooling property of brass is much better, and the weight savings are not really worth it for a street car, it just looks pretty. As far as performance benifits (HP) you will see little to none at all, lowering the engine temp does not raise horsepower like lowering air intake temps does. Hope this makes sense.

·
Super Moderator
4,421 Posts
Jax beat me to it.. What you want for the most hp is a hot combustion chamber and a cold air intake (dense air will have more molacules of air in it). a colder engien will give you a richer mixture which can give you more hp but thats a really cold engine.. Not 15 degrees lower then what it would be normally. so.. unless you engine was retuned to run at lower temps a lower temp stat will do nothng.. honest. I don't want people to waste their $$

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The cooling system is already upgraded, radiator, redline watter wetter with 18% coolant, and oil cooler kit.

XL7Limited said:
so.. unless you engine was retuned to run at lower temps a lower temp stat will do nothng.. honest.
How will a retune change that? The cars running a piggy back system and msd adjustable ignition system....it can be tuned to just about any degree I want

·
Registered
165 Posts
What piggy back are you running kinky? Most piggybacks are actually pretty limited when it all comes down to it. As soon as you are able I would really recommend a full stand alone. It takes alot to learn to tune it but once you learn you will never go back. You will be amazed at what you can do. Check out Haltech and SDS, well worth every penny.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jaxreno said:
What piggy back are you running kinky? Most piggybacks are actually pretty limited when it all comes down to it. As soon as you are able I would really recommend a full stand alone. It takes alot to learn to tune it but once you learn you will never go back. You will be amazed at what you can do. Check out Haltech and SDS, well worth every penny.
smt-6... I know its still pretty limited but even when I'm running really high boost I dont think I'll see the need for a standalone as much as they cost

·
Super Moderator
4,421 Posts
The ecm has to be looking for the cooler stat for it to be any benefit. My GN has a custom burned chip that is looking for a 160 stat and turns on the fans accordingly and advances times accordingly to the 160 coolant temps.

kinkyllama said:
The cooling system is already upgraded, radiator, redline watter wetter with 18% coolant, and oil cooler kit.

How will a retune change that? The cars running a piggy back system and msd adjustable ignition system....it can be tuned to just about any degree I want

·
Registered
291 Posts
I disagree, Not sure why! First I would thing I would is to get a wiring diagram for the Suzuki Reno engine. The D-TEC engine is not a new engine, it’s got what 6 or 7 year old technology in it. It could be possible that the fan on this car is not controlled by the ECU at all.
If this is the case then a lower temp TSTAT would help, The fan would just not turn on as often.
Next time you have your heat on hit the gas hard and it will go a lot quicker, Because of the heater coil that is part of the engine cooling system, and when the heat is on it’s pulling heat from the engine giving it more power. Basic stuff that we all know???? I think!!!!! Any way, I think it will improve the HP, Not enough to take a SRT-4 out, But enough to be good. THIS IS MY OPINION, I AM PROBABLE WRONG...... Do not haze me if I am not correct in what I say. We are here to learn, Not to hate.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts