Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the topic says, and did you have any strange issues with customs if outside the USA (Canada Customs tried to charge me extra $16 for Agriculture Canada to inspect it because they said it was hardwood???) Also how was the install of the shifter, any issues?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
exist3nce said:
Canada Customs tried to charge me extra $16 for Agriculture Canada to inspect it because they said it was hardwoode shifter
Wait... how many people ordered from Canada? Sorry, I dont know which of your guys email addresses line up with what forum names.

They thought it was hardwood cuz I shipped most the stuff through a hardwood business. The guys shipping it were supposed to say it wasnt hardwood but there seamed to be a mixup when I wasn't around.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zipper said:
LOL. I got my shifter, but I'm in Cali
Hey Zipper how did you remove the old one? like how did you remove the leather cover thing and detach it from the stock shifter. I saw the post on daewootech about removing the shifter but it doesnt help with this first part.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
exist3nce said:
Hey Zipper how did you remove the old one? like how did you remove the leather cover thing and detach it from the stock shifter. I saw the post on daewootech about removing the shifter but it doesnt help with this first part.
The black plastic thing the leather boots attached to?

It lifts out... but you gotta put pressure on the top going down or on the bottom going up. I can't remember exactly.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
you can squeeze inwards and pull it out. no special tools necessary. theres a little black "C" looking thing that is connected to the pin that keeps you from being able to pull the shifter out...pull the "C" off the shaft and pull the pin out. out comes the shifter. removing the leather could be as simple as sliding it all the way down...i havent gone that far cuz i dont really want the short shifter(i have long arms and would hit my elbow). if you cant slide the leather sheath down, just take off the stock knob and slide it off the top. it looks like the way to do that is put it in hot water for about 5 min to soften up the adhesive and then yank it off.. doesn't look like too hard of a procedure...if you actually get in your car and messed around with it, you probably could have figured it out...but i guess it is better to play it safe and than sorry.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
good question. i'd just try to find some kind of grease used on metal. maybe some kind of axle grease or bearing grease? id assume that any kind of grease will work. there isnt a whole lot of rubbing going on there, and you can always regrease it if it starts thinning out too much or whatever.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tallkid said:
you can squeeze inwards and pull it out. no special tools necessary. theres a little black "C" looking thing that is connected to the pin that keeps you from being able to pull the shifter out...pull the "C" off the shaft and pull the pin out. out comes the shifter. removing the leather could be as simple as sliding it all the way down...i havent gone that far cuz i dont really want the short shifter(i have long arms and would hit my elbow). if you cant slide the leather sheath down, just take off the stock knob and slide it off the top. it looks like the way to do that is put it in hot water for about 5 min to soften up the adhesive and then yank it off.. doesn't look like too hard of a procedure...if you actually get in your car and messed around with it, you probably could have figured it out...but i guess it is better to play it safe and than sorry.
i plan to "mess around with it" today after work and also buy a shift knob. its just that from looking at it previously (not in depth) it seems difficult to take the leather cover off.

·
Registered
433 Posts
just use the grease off of the original shifter, there is plenty, plus the one kinky got us has been greased, at least mine was. as for shift knobs i recomend getting one witht the reverse lock mechanism.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok i got it installed, but I ca'nt seem to find any knobs that fit on properly with this lift reverse. What did you guys do about this?

·
Registered
22 Posts
isotta and momo makes alot of them, personally i went with isotta nice weight and good look. check on ebay theres a guy that sells them on a store there.

·
Registered
433 Posts
ive got a temp... its the grip knob i posted earlier, but i had to mount it high on the shifter's arm so that i could still use the reverse. but with the length of the knob and the height of which i mounted it its just as long as the stock shifter. so i ordered the momo module shift knob. its somewhere in commute now, hopefully close, so ill have pics up soon. check out www.eraceparts.com theyve got some of the momos plus the one i ordered at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've figured out a temp solution that works and looks alright for now. I used the knob I bought, but removed the the lift up reverse metal and black plastic thing. I left the white plastic piece that actually locks out the reverse, and attached a wire to it that comes up thru the leather right beside the shift knob. So to get into reverse I simply lift up the "hook" that I bent the wire into. This also allowed me to mount the knob MUCH further down on the shifter. I'll try to get a pic as its kinda hard to describe.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
sounds good existence. i just wouldnt like the wire stickin up out of there like that. when you're shiftin into reverse/1st, you usually should be stopped or at a slow roll anyways, so if you got rid of the safety thing, i dont think i'd have a problem with it.

whoever has their short shifter in and has a knob that actually makes it shorter :: it seems to me. that youd have to bend your arm in a weird angle to shift. when stock, the knob is just above the center console, so you can rest your elbow on it while shifting. with your shifter 3-4 inches lower, how much of a pain in the ass is it to shift? your throw might be a lot shorter, but i would think that itd be uncomfortable. so im asking you to become a salesman and convince me to order the short shift lever.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
tallkid[SIZE=2 said:
][/SIZE]
whoever has their short shifter in and has a knob that actually makes it shorter :: it seems to me. that youd have to bend your arm in a weird angle to shift. when stock, the knob is just above the center console, so you can rest your elbow on it while shifting. with your shifter 3-4 inches lower, how much of a pain in the ass is it to shift? your throw might be a lot shorter, but i would think that itd be uncomfortable. so im asking you to become a salesman and convince me to order the short shift lever.
I dont really think it's a problem. I wouldnt know though cuz I've had my seats longer which are a couple inches shorter as well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts