Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Of late my 2002 XL7 has started emitting white smoke for the initial 3-5 secs of startup each morning. After that she runs perfectly. Any pointers or help on diagnostics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Neville

·
Super Moderator
17,901 Posts
White smoke is often misdiagnosed as a water vapor / cool mornings normal condition, IF your location supports the appropriate temperatures and humidity. Smoke also tends to linger in the air, and vapor dissipates quickly.

If the "smoke" is from coolant entering the combustion chambers due to internal leakage, you will notice a coolant level decrease in the overflow tank and / or radiator levels. If leakage is extreme enough, rough running engine, pinging or knock noise can ensue.

Most often the cause is cylinder head gasket leaks or head (even block) cracks. Adding "Stop Leak" may be a temp fix at best.

Have you overheated the engine? That's probably one of the most detrimental actions causing the leak conditions mentioned.

Worn valve stem guides can cause an initial start smoke condition, but are typically more blue in color and present with combined oil usage.

·
Super Moderator
12,581 Posts
I concur with Max's analysis - depending on your location, the mornings may be getting cooler where you are, and it is not uncommon for the whater that is a normal byproduct of combustion, to condense and appear as white smoke in the cooler air directly after start up.

This can also happen on cooler humid mornings in tropical climates (I'm in the tropics and have been caught more than once) - if you're not seeing a drop in fluid levels (coolant, oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid) - I would ignore it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i had this exact issue with my XL7, its the tappet covers, its a common issue of oil build up in them and you cant pull them apart as they are riveted together.

Pull them of and soak them in petrol for 24hours and give them a good clean. At the same time the valve stems may need replacing and its best to replace the whats its name as if its gone it will just suck the oil through.

·
Super Moderator
17,901 Posts
Could you better explain this very vague diagnosis description of yours? :huh:

whats its name as if its gone it will just suck the oil through,

tappet covers,

a common issue of oil build up
It makes no sense at this point.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback Max. Pl see my responses below

White smoke is often misdiagnosed as a water vapor / cool mornings normal condition, IF your location supports the appropriate temperatures and humidity. Smoke also tends to linger in the air, and vapor dissipates quickly..
Its smoke as it does linger in the air for atleast 20 secs. also I am based in Mumbai where min temps even during winters is 20 degrees Celcius.

If the "smoke" is from coolant entering the combustion chambers due to internal leakage, you will notice a coolant level decrease in the overflow tank and / or radiator levels. If leakage is extreme enough, rough running engine, pinging or knock noise can ensue. .
No Max, no drop in coolant levels. There is however a drop in the engine oil level.

Most often the cause is cylinder head gasket leaks or head (even block) cracks. Adding "Stop Leak" may be a temp fix at best.

Have you overheated the engine? That's probably one of the most detrimental actions causing the leak conditions mentioned..
No I Havent overheated the engine. Very careful how I drive her.

·
Super Moderator
4,442 Posts
Valve seals. They sometimes allow oil past and into the cylinder to be burned off on startup. It happens to mine every once in a while. A puff of smoke.. What oil weight are you running in it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Valve seals. They sometimes allow oil past and into the cylinder to be burned off on startup. It happens to mine every once in a while. A puff of smoke.. What oil weight are you running in it?
I am running Mobile 1, full synthetic, 40w

·
Registered
1 Posts
White smoke is often misdiagnosed as a water vapor / cool mornings normal condition, IF your location supports the appropriate temperatures and humidity. Smoke also tends to linger in the air, and vapor dissipates quickly.

If the "smoke" is from coolant entering the combustion chambers due to internal leakage, you will notice a coolant level decrease in the overflow tank and / or radiator levels. If leakage is extreme enough, rough running engine, pinging or knock noise can ensue.

Have you overheated the engine? That's probably one of the most detrimental actions causing the leak conditions mentioned.

Worn valve stem guides can cause an initial start smoke condition, but are typically more blue in color and present with combined oil usage.
I got the same problem with my grand vitara 2.5 v6, once you start up the engine when it's cold, i see the blue comes out for about or 5 seconds, then it disappear..
As you said .. The blue smoke is due to worn valve stem guides

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hello Adrian, It's most likely NOT the Valve Guides. Here is an entire thread about the issue, and how 99.999% of the time, cleaning the Valve Cover (Bonnet Cover) and drilling new drain holes will fix the problem. I fought this with my Tracker (H25A V6). This thread is long, but shows/describes my step by step process to get to the root of the problem.

Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts