Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone

i've gone and got myself a 1985 sierra 1.3 (with a 1.6 vitara motor)

i havent had it long, but it has had this whining noise the entire time, it starts at about 50km/h and just gets louder. it stops when i am off the throttle

it has a G16A mounted to a 1.3 gearbox going to a 1.0 transfer case (seems logical right :huh: ) aparently that was cause the previous owner couldnt get the 1.3 case to change gear

the odo has 268k on it but that dosent count for the engine and transfer (might not mean anything else either)

i was wondering if this noise is normal...ish and what it might be

the person doing the road worthy inspection muttered something about the transfer case when he was looking at it

thanks in advance

PS: be careful, it's my first time (with a zook and a forum :blink: )

·
Registered
80 Posts
add 85w gear oil in it and you may need a rubber hose to drip it in there. its about 5 bucks or a lil more depending on type of oil and store

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
add 85w gear oil in it and you may need a rubber hose to drip it in there. its about 5 bucks or a lil more depending on type of oil and store
thanks rey, sorry for the late reply

it took me ages to get the oil in it (i did my rear diff too) but the transfer case level wasnt too low :huh:

the gearbox level is fine :D

it got a little quieter then before, but it is still quite loud. it is less noticeible about 100kph and now it seems loudest at about 80kph

are sierra's notoriously loud inside, i think its only marginally quieter them my 1980 hilux that has a 2' exhaust and a free flow muffler

·
Registered
80 Posts
i dont know i have a 87 sammurai in the usa california. we had only 86-95 sammys here i used a pump into a quart of oil were i put the gear oil in and hand pumped it into the trasnfer case transmission and rear diff i havent done the front diff yet.yes my too still wines too but not as loud as before. im not sure if its normal. its also my first sammy and second suzuki car i had a 92 swift gti a while back ....you have sj410 i have the sj413 mine is a little bit bigger about one inch and the 1.3 liter 8 valve gas engine. yours is 1.0 8 valve from factory

·
Super Moderator
17,597 Posts
it starts at about 50km/h and just gets louder. it stops when i am off the throttle
Drive train noise origin is often difficult to ID, but you sound as if you may be having classic ring and pinion wear / noise. :huh:

I'd get the vehicle on a lift, get your wheels spinning and investigate the sound source from below. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
....you have sj410 i have the sj413 mine is a little bit bigger about one inch and the 1.3 liter 8 valve gas engine. yours is 1.0 8 valve from factory
mine is stamped sj50 and it was a 1.3 from factory.
is there a specific meaning to what these other codes mean? :confused:

i dont know why it has a 1.0 transfer case in it, there might have been huge tyres once upon a time.

the guy i bought it off muttered something about shift linkages too. Are 1.3 and 1.0 cases a direct swap as far as that is concerned? cause i want to change the final drive ratio cause at the moment it is doing just over 3000rpm at 80kph (which i suspect is a little high) and i am using about 13L/100 (18.1 mpg)

thanks for the idea max

did you literally mean have someone in the car "driving it" while someone else (who is more game then me :p ) listens to the noises underneath it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
look on youtube.com theres videos translated in english from japan telling the whole history of the jimny sierra samurai from the first one to the last ones now.your set up up dont seem right to me. it may have been changed over time by some one else bcuz thats should be a 1.0 4 cylinder the first ones in the 60s came two stroke 2 cylinders. zande even 3 cylinder turbo then the 1.0 4inline and the 1.3 4inline. i dont know the name of the videos but theres like 2-3 of them some from japan some from south america. did you knnow the whole truck was really designed by land rover.... suzuki just put the engine or better said there engine in it the whole idea built and all is land rover. look up the land rover defender. they are indentical just full size big truck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
mine does 60 miles per hour at 3200-3400 r.p.m. thats with my garmin gps speed and looking at my tachmeter. all stock i get 30-33mpg city and 40-42mpg highway.... yup believe it or not.stock rear diff stock transfer case tranny all original 70,000 miles of it im the second owner.il tell you some other time how i did it you can too wasnt or isnt hard to accomplish.

·
Super Moderator
17,597 Posts
did you literally mean have someone in the car "driving it" while someone else (who is more game then me :p ) listens to the noises underneath it?
In essence, yes! :)

On a lift, raise the entire vehicle just far enough off the garage floor to start the engine and engage the trans / wheels. Then raise the vehicle further to observe and listen for the noise producing portion of the drive train.

If you want to vary the speed...yes, have a 2nd person IN the vehicle to do same.

·
Registered
193 Posts
1.3 gear box on a 1.o tranny is going to be noisy...but there could be other things like clutch release bearing, universal joints that may be the source...you need a good old school mechanic...
Oh and make sure the oil you use in transmisssion and tranny is gl4...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1.3 gear box on a 1.o tranny is going to be noisy...but there could be other things like clutch release bearing, universal joints that may be the source...you need a good old school mechanic...
Oh and make sure the oil you use in transmisssion and tranny is gl4...
thanks for the reply

i was wondering if it was going to be generally noisy (dad says the cars are like driving round in a sewing machine :p )

the mechanic said the universals were ok (except for the one that i had to replace)

i think i am going to wait until i can get ahold of a 1.3 transfer so it can change its drive ratios as well, cause it is pointless spending money on it when it isnt what i want (5th revving its nuts off)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey I'm glad I found this thread, unfortunate as the situation may be, but I'm having almost the exact same problem. Except I am suspecting the noise in my drivetrain is the transmission it starts to whine in 3rd gear, gets louder in 4th, loudest in 5th. I don't know if it is a bearing or what, any advice would be great thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey I'm glad I found this thread, unfortunate as the situation may be, but I'm having almost the exact same problem. Except I am suspecting the noise in my drivetrain is the transmission it starts to whine in 3rd gear, gets louder in 4th, loudest in 5th. I don't know if it is a bearing or what, any advice would be great thanks
Same here. I took it through deep water and after a short highway trip, it whines. I'm going to check the Transfer case fluid and see if I filled it with water. Otherwise, I'll be in the same boat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Im having the exact same issue and ive been looking around for a solution or a diagnostic for ages. Ive noticed that if you put your transfer in neutral and go through the gears you can see when it starts. Mine begins begins the whining in high reving 3rd gear, 4th becomes louder and 5th becomes deafening. In neutral (transfer wise) it makes a rattling noise from the gearbox-transferbox area (same spot as the whining is). Sounds like if something is bouncing around at the same revs and gears as where the whining is! Please someone who has fixed this or knows what it is!!

·
Super Moderator
17,597 Posts
I think that ALL of you guys know what needs to be done. :huh:

Check your fluid levels for correctness, inspect for leaks, sample the respective oil for contaminants.

Change the gear oils based on appearance and owner's manual maintenance requirement periodicity.

If still problematic, raise the vehicle, run it, ID the noise area of concern, then attack / repair the offending component!

It's not rocket surgery. :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts