Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.7 L V6 4WD Automatic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I recently got a 2008 GV 2.7 L V6 4 WD Automatic transmission. Recently I can hear a clear whining sound which starts around 10 Mph and goes away above 25 Mph which is syn with RPM (1750-2000). It makes the sound both while acceleration and deceleration around that range. Has no sound when the transmission is in neutral. I also tried reeving the car on driveway and it doesn't make any noise which rules out the fact that it is coming from the engine. I checked the transmission fluid and it looks and smells fine. My transmission shift is also smooth and instant. It looks like the sound is coming from the front around the engine bay.

Does anyone has any idea what could be wrong and where I should be looking at?
Thanks!

Video with the sound :

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
what about coasting in neutral? any noise then?

and is it 2WD or 4 WD?

Reactions: Eshan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coasting in neutral looks fine. Yes it is a 4WD.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
Noise Coming from the front? Change front diff oil first and see what the old stuff that comes out is like. It could be a sign of a worn diff, or bearings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am scheduled to change both the differential (F and R) and transfer case fluid. I will update once I do so. I had the same issue with my 08 Honda Accord and once I change the power steering fluid , that fixed the problem. I wonder if it is same with this! I can clearly see the fluid bubbles when the engine is on although I never had any sound while turning the steering wheel lock to lock.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
Steering wont whine like your symptoms suggest, what you describe us a drive train issue

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steering wont whine like your symptoms suggest, what you describe us a drive train issue
I looked it again in more detail and it looks like it is also sync with the RPM. Only whines (like a jet sounds) between 1750-2000 RPM. Mostly clear between the first to gears (1-2). I was able to imitate it while using L gear and raising the RPM to 1750. One thing is clear that it needs to be in motion.

# I could be crazy but I feel like I faintly hear it while the car is in N and in motion while RPM is around that (1750-2000) bracket.

·
Super Moderator
13,897 Posts
Put the transfer case in neutral, the transmission in gear and gently bring the rpms up and see if you get the noise - it may help to pin point which part of the drive train is the culprit.

I also want to share with you a somewhat similar experience with my second gen GV - the vehicle produces a distinctive "bearing hum" at around 55 mph - but only if the air conditioner is on.

I'm driving along, fifth gear doing around 55, and I hear this soft hum that's a tell tale of a bearing on it's way out, so I turn off the a/c to hear it better, the hum goes away, turn the a/c back on, the hum comes back. Pull over, let the engine idle in neutral with the a/c on - no hum.

The only way to get the hum with the vehicle stationary is to put the transfer case in neutral, put the transmission in gear, and simulate a moving vehicle with the a/c on - so - where does the problem lie - a/c or drive-train?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Put the transfer case in neutral, the transmission in gear and gently bring the rpms up and see if you get the noise - it may help to pin point which part of the drive train is the culprit.

I also want to share with you a somewhat similar experience with my second gen GV - the vehicle produces a distinctive "bearing hum" at around 55 mph - but only if the air conditioner is on.

I'm driving along, fifth gear doing around 55, and I hear this soft hum that's a tell tale of a bearing on it's way out, so I turn off the a/c to hear it better, the hum goes away, turn the a/c back on, the hum comes back. Pull over, let the engine idle in neutral with the a/c on - no hum.

The only way to get the hum with the vehicle stationary is to put the transfer case in neutral, put the transmission in gear, and simulate a moving vehicle with the a/c on - so - where does the problem lie - a/c or drive-train?
I tried and it doesn't whine with the transfer case on N and transmission on D. I revved the engine to the required RPM but it doesn't whine. I also tried to put load on the transmission by pressing the break and gas together while on 4H. It doesn't whine!

AC On or Of doesn't have any impact.

The only time the car whines is while in motion and hitting the RPM (1750-2000) and around 1-2 gears.
The whine/whoa whoa noise reduces after a while if I keep driving.

·
Super Moderator
13,897 Posts
That's beginning to sound like the diffs, have you checked the fluid levels yet?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's beginning to sound like the diffs, have you checked the fluid levels yet?
I am not that good with handling things under the car. I have talked to a service center who can work/change the fluids for me. I will definitely do it ASAP. Do you know any sure sort way/diagnostics to rule out that it is not a transmission problem? I am getting really anxious over it since on US, it's really hard to get service and parts for Suzuki. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Just posted a video with the sound.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Noise Coming from the front? Change front diff oil first and see what the old stuff that comes out is like. It could be a sign of a worn diff, or bearings.
Just posted a video with the sound.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
I cant hear the noise, but you do have a tyre pressure warning up, are thee tyres at the correct pressure? I have had a partially flat tyre cause all sorts of strange noises

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I cant hear the noise, but you do have a tyre pressure warning up, are thee tyres at the correct pressure? I have had a partially flat tyre cause all sorts of strange noises
Tire pressure is fine but the warning light is acting weird for few days. It's showing low pressure but when I check with a gauge everything is fine. In the video due to recording it's tough but when I am around 1900 RPM if you use headphone you will be able to hear high pitch whooa whooa type noise.

·
Super Moderator
13,897 Posts
Repetitive "whooa whooa" type noises are more likely to be tire related than gear or bearing - which tend to be more continuous.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts