Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a black gooey mess inside my drum brake which I suspect is due to a failed inner seal.

I've found lots of info on here about replacing the seal which seems to cover everything except for what sealant to use when installing the rear axle shaft into the rear axle housing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers.

[edit]
I have now replaced the seal, a pretty straight forward job. Here's some hints which may help the next person...
  • I used a slide hammer to pull out the axle, being careful not to take the brake plate with it.
  • A claw hammer was the perfect shape to leaver out the old seal.
  • A large WD40 can was ideal to press in the new seal, with some gentle hammer persuasion.
  • I used Mannol Red Gasket Maker for the sealant.
  • When refitting, the four bolts that hold the shaft into the axle poke out just enough to get the nuts on, tightening them up evenly pulled everything back to where it should be.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,429 Posts
The inner seal is a friction fit, does not require any sealant, however if you are so inclined just use a light smear of RTV,, make sure outer edge of seal and inner section od axle are oil free (brake clean on a rag).

Ensure the riding/sealing surface on the axle is smooth...

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
Please see attachment for sealant application when replacing the rear axle bearing/seal/etc - I would suggest Permatex Ultra Grey.

Attachments

Reactions: stevotron

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please see attachment for sealant application when replacing the rear axle bearing/seal/etc - I would suggest Permatex Ultra Grey.
Nice, thanks - yep that's the joint I meant. Suzuki Sealant 99000-31110 is £30 a tube on eBay so will use an equivalent - cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Job done, seal replaced. So far so good, have added some notes to the original post incase it's of any use to anyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts