Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005, Grand Vitara, 3 Door Petrol, 1586cc UK Model
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, so I have spent many hours searching the web, and carried out a couple of forum searches, but nothing that actually answers my question I don't think. So I am looking for a simple roof rack system to fit my current Vitara, it is a 2005, 3 door, 1586cc Petrol, UK model.

I have included photos or the rails. Obviously I don't want to be spending hundreds of pounds, but I want something I can rely on, mainly to attach my fishing rods to at the weekends. I have noticed that the rails do have 2 x circular caps at the front and rear of the vehicle, but none of the rack systems which I have looked at appear to utilise these, are they there just to hold on the rails?

Thanks in advance to anyone replying to this.

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
That looks like a 3G not 2nd gen.

Any reputable roof rack manufacturer will make bars that clamp onto these rails. I have a set of Rhino ones on my 3 door, and genuine 'zuke ones on the 5 door. Caps cover the bolts holding the rails on.

Max roof loading is 75 kg including rails with load equally distributed if its in fact a 3G model.

Heres a link to one manufacturers we have here, rails are standard from 2005 to 2018

Reactions: Nikodwyer

·
Registered
2005, Grand Vitara, 3 Door Petrol, 1586cc UK Model
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks like a 3G not 2nd gen.

Any reputable roof rack manufacturer will make bars that clamp onto these rails. I have a set of Rhino ones on my 3 door, and genuine 'zuke ones on the 5 door. Caps cover the bolts holding the rails on.

Max roof loading is 75 kg including rails with load equally distributed if its in fact a 3G model.

Heres a link to one manufacturers we have here, rails are standard from 2005 to 2018

Awesome, sorry for posting in the wrong group, just went by the year my vehicle was registered. thank you for your help (y)

·
Registered
30 Posts
You are right, it is a 3G model.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thule and Yakima make rails. Not sure if available in your area.
Yakima rail grabs can be found used. No longer made.
Thule kit3024 allows for the towers to mount.
I have the Yakima.

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
I don't have any wind noise with the rack on. If its the bars only it's pretty bad but the rack helps with the small fairing.
this is why the genuine suzuki ones are shaped aerofoils and different for front and rear.

·
Registered
116 Posts
this is why the genuine suzuki ones are shaped aerofoils and different for front and rear.
No finding OEM bars in the US. But if anyone is looking to leave on the bars during day to day operations I would recommend the Thule as they have an aerofoil design and the Yakima make a lot of wind slap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a set from Mick's Garage in Ireland, had them shipped to the USA. under $150US. Come from Italy, La Prealpina. I have a 2008 Grand Vitara

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,903 Posts
Awesome, sorry for posting in the wrong group, just went by the year my vehicle was registered. thank you for your help (y)
That is where the issue starts, fitting require the yr of manufacture not when it was registered, very different criteria..

·
Super Moderator
13,168 Posts
That is where the issue starts, fitting require the yr of manufacture not when it was registered, very different criteria..
The problem in this case Phil, is not a year of registration vs year of manufacture issue - you can't register a vehicle manufactured in 2006 in 2005.

The issue is that the forum sections are defined based on US market introduction dates - the forum defines a gen 2 as 1999~2005 and a gen 3 as 2006~2014. The gen 2 were released in 1998 to all markets except the US which received it in 1999, and likewise the gen 3 was introduced in 2005 and the US again got them a year later. Gen 2 sales in the US stopped when gen 3 was introduced, but gen 2 production & sales continued in other markets until as late as 2015.

My gen 2 is a 1998 built SQ420, and my gen 3 is a 2005 built JB420 - if I were to follow the year of manufacture criteria, I would end up posting gen 2 questions in the gen 1 section, and gen 3 in gen 2, which is what happened here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts