Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 95 Samurai which is painfully (in more ways than one) stock. Want to do a mild lift, 2-4 inches. Really looking for a smoother ride and a little more wheel travel as I tend to bottom out the front suspension from time to time. I'm currently running 215R70-15 tires and dont really plan to change in the near future. I have a chance to get some free YJ springs and Doetsch tech shocks. But would like to hear some opinions / thoughts about what would be the best set-up before spending my money. The Samurai does get street driven about 85% of the time... Options- 1) YJ springs in spring under. 2) OME springs. 3) Calmini 3" lift kit. Thank you in advance for the help- Zeke.

Tha Sami is a blast, and the people are the best!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
for a smooth handling ride with a mile lift, YJ's spring under sound like exactly what you need. The fact that you have access to free YJ springs and DT shocks just seals the deal. Are the DT shocks the 3's or the 9's? The 3's are good for a stiffer spring or mild wheeling on softer springs. The 9's are good for hard wheeling with a heavy rig on soft springs, but to stiff for short lift springs like OME's or Calmini.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Not sure what series the shocks are, but will try to get the springs and shocks this weekend. Here's my plan- YJ springs, Doetsch shocks, dropped pitman arm (2-3"), Not sure about the sway bar, may attempt to make it so I can disconnect it for wheelin'. I'm pretty sure I can do this, use some dog bone links / pins and make it so I can use the dogbones to secure it out of the way when disconnected. Might be kind of fun to try... Will most likely use a RRO YJ spring under kit. I've read some pretty negative things about RRO on the forum, has anybody had a good experience with them?

Thanx! Zeke

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am sure you can find someone who has had good service with RRO, but then again someone wins the lottery too... I just don't know either type of people. I personally would shove my Samurai off a cliff, climb down the cliff, and set it on fire before I will ever deal with RRO again.... but that's just from my one experience with them.

Since you are in SoCal, why not hit up Petroworks in Fallbrook, CA.
One of the guys over there has a Zuki that he recently switched from spoa to YJ spua.

Good luck with the install and enjoy your Samurai.
Lots of places to go exploring/off-roading here in SoCal.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I'd advise against RRO. I don't know if petroworks sells a kit but I know Gary would probably put one together for you. SKY has a YJ spring under kit and I've never heard a complaint about their products or their customer support.

The Swaybar disco sounds like a cool idea. I'm having trouble visualizing what you're describing though. Draws me a purty picture!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts