Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock Samurai engine, can get to about 65 on the highway, would really like to be able to maintain 75 mph and hang with other highway traffic. What would be the best type of engine to swap in?

·
Registered
551 Posts
You should be able to maintain 75 with the stock engine.

Most probably you have some sort of running problems.

Is your limited speed the only symptom?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right, I can maintain 75 if the road is flat. I guess I really mean that I want to be able hit 80-85 and be able to do 70-75 up hills.

Would a Sidekick 16l 8v be able to give me more highway speed? I'm not worried about going offroad with this truck.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The 8 valve G16 from the sidekick does have a bit more power than most G13 engines so yes you will gain a few more mph.

Will it definitely get you up to the speeds you want? I am not sure I will let someone else answer.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Where do you live? Will you have to pass emissions testing ?
The 1600 8 valve will add 15 hp. ( 80 hp )
BUT is prone to cracks in the crank case journals. Be careful when buying a used one.
The 16 valve will net you 30 hp ( 95hp ) But requires a bunch of work. ( EFI )
We opted for the Datsun L 20B and drop pan 4 speed , 45 hp gain ( 110 hp )
Actually it was a much easier swap than the 16 valve due to the simple wiring.
And yes it will climb a hill at well over 75 miles an hour. ... Boxcar ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, that's helpful. I live in Kentucky, so no emissions testing.

Are Datsun L20B engines readily available? Are their swap kits for them?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I am leaning toward the 1.9l VW TDI. Should give me the horsepower I want, right? And it's a tried and true method?

Thanks for all of the help and advice everyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would a Nissan Sentra 2.5 Engine work? I'm in the same boat, I'd like to get 75-85 mph range. I have a 86' Samurai.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Nice rig boxcar!

Is that a compressor I see? Air lockers?

Are you the boxcar that does designs for the rigs of rod game?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Where do you live? Will you have to pass emissions testing ?
The 1600 8 valve will add 15 hp. ( 80 hp )
BUT is prone to cracks in the crank case journals. Be careful when buying a used one.
The 16 valve will net you 30 hp ( 95hp ) But requires a bunch of work. ( EFI )
We opted for the Datsun L 20B and drop pan 4 speed , 45 hp gain ( 110 hp )
Actually it was a much easier swap than the 16 valve due to the simple wiring.
And yes it will climb a hill at well over 75 miles an hour. ... Boxcar ...
that is good to know. ive been researching samurais and engine swaps for 2 months and that's the first ive heard of that.
any known problems with the Suzuki 1.6 16v?

i tested my 1.3 out and could do 80mph at 4500rpm

·
Registered
551 Posts
The blocks are the same. In the sidekick section many users who have taken apart their engines have cracks on the journals.

Even a user near me who took apart his h20a v6 (different beast) recently had a hairline crack.

It is said that they hate overheating.

The 16v stock exhaust collector often cracks between number 3 and number 4 collectors. I have a crack there welded back. Again overheating is thought to be the cause.

Crank snouts on both 16v and 8v are prone to damage if the owner didn't re-tighten it to 94lbs ft. This is the number one step for a few members. It can be fixed if the damage isn't too bad but you have to take the timing pulley off to even check.

So two things to look for:

Well maintained cooling system (you'd hate to see mine)

And

Timing pulley bolt retourqed to 94lbs ft. (Often you'd have to buy it and check yourself simply hoping)

All that said they are fairly reliable as they are the number one choice of 4x4 transport in my country and they recieve little maintenance while being here. They outlast hiluxes in my area.

·
Registered
278 Posts
While it is a well known fact that Zuke engines hate heat. I think is has as much to do with inadequate webbing in the block.
Add a higher torque load due to all the mods we ask of these little engines, and you get stress cracks in the journals.
I opted for the Datsun for several reasons : Iron block and huge main bearings and journals were but a few.
Yes Skudo that is a compressor. On board air.
Thanks for the comment on the rig. I like it. I'm glad you do to.
I've been designing and building race and off road toys for many years. But to answer your question. No , I don't do design work for Rod Game....Boxcar

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like that exo-cage i've been looking for examples for when i go about doing it havent decided if i want exo or have it inside for my tintop now back to the topic lol how hard is the tdi swap?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts