Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 Geo Tracker 1.6L 4WD hardtop EFI manual 5-speed. I also have the 1991 service manual supplement with the service codes. However, there are so many code readers out there, and none of my manuals state what type of code reader I need. All they say is "PLUG IT IN TO THE CONNECTOR IN FRONT OF THE BATTERY". Big help.

Can someone clue me in to the type of code reader I can/should use?

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Other than a Tech 1 tool with a cartridge & connector compatible with your OBD I Tracker, the only alternative that I'm aware of is Rhinoman & he's in the UK (see link)

RhinoPower Ltd

EDIT: Have you tried to check codes with a paperclip at the under-hood data connector? What are you trying to determine?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only time I've used the data connector is to use a "paper clip" to connect the bottom two terminals/contacts in order to check the timing.

Can these be used in some other way?

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Absolutely. Do a you-tube search for extracting Geo Tracker DTCs. If you don't get any results, I can try to find a video, or, send you the info from the factory service manual (FSM).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got the factory service manual -- and supplement. It has all the codes and what they mean. I just need something that tells me what codes the computer is generating. The manuals don't tell me how to read the codes. It just tells me what the codes mean.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a video. I won't need a code reader. I'll just use the check engine light "blinks". I'm hoping for a code 12.
My check engine light is NOT on.
THANKS.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Also, be aware, you have the "nag", mileage switch. Do a you-tube search for that as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
As you might image, since I've had the Tracker since 1991, I've used the "mileage" switch under the dashboard a few times! I don't recall how I figured that out, though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts